Book/Printed Material The Four Books in Chapter and Verse with Collected Commentaries.
About this Item
- The Four Books in Chapter and Verse with Collected Commentaries.
- The Analects is one of the important classics for Ruist (Confucian) scholars. It was compiled by the disciples of Confucius and their disciples. It mostly records conversations and dialogs relating to Confucius and his disciples that reflect the views and principles of Confucius as applied to administration, ethics, morality, and education. The generally accepted version of The Analects has 20 sections. Zhu Xi (1130-1200) of the Song dynasty took "The Great Learning" and "The Doctrine of the Mean" from The Book of Rites and combined these extracts with The Mencius to create The Four Books in Chapter and Verse with Collected Commentaries. Zhu Xi's work was greatly admired in China, and for several centuries was made indispensable curricular material for those preparing to take the civil service examination. In this way, The Analects exercised a profound and far-reaching influence on successive generations in China.
- Zhu, Xi, 1130-1200 Author.
Created / Published
- Dangtu Xian : Dangtu Commandery Studio, 1217.
- - China--Anhui Province--Dangtu Xian
- - 1240 to 1252
- - Confucius
- - Song dynasty, 960-1279
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: One volume, 29.6 x 20.7 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Zhu, Xi, Author. The Four Books in Chapter and Verse with Collected Commentaries. Dangtu Xian: Dangtu Commandery Studio, 1217. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666313/.
APA citation style:
Zhu, X. (1217) The Four Books in Chapter and Verse with Collected Commentaries. Dangtu Xian: Dangtu Commandery Studio. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666313/.
MLA citation style:
Zhu, Xi, Author. The Four Books in Chapter and Verse with Collected Commentaries. Dangtu Xian: Dangtu Commandery Studio, 1217. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666313/>.