Book/Printed Material Tale of Hong Gildong.
About this Item
- Tale of Hong Gildong.
- Hong Gildongjeon (Tale of Hong Gildong) is one of the first novels written in Hangul, the Korean alphabet, in the middle of the Joseon Dynasty. The novel is by Heo Gyun (Hŏ Kyun, 1569--1618), whose revolutionary thinking is reflected in the story's emphasis on breaking down differences in status and reforming corrupt politics. The main character of the novel, Hong Gildong, was the child of a nobleman and a female servant. Even though he was very intelligent and talented, Hong Gildong was never accepted as a son of a noble family because of a rigid status system. After he left home, Hong Gildong became a bandit leader and organized a band of "Robin Hoods," who robbed the rich of their unjustly earned goods and distributed them to the poor. Later, he went to the foreign nation called Yuldo and built an ideal country where all people were equal.
- Hŏ, Kyun, 1569-1618, author.
Created / Published
- Anseong : [publisher not identified], [1575 to 1618]
- - Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- - Republic of Korea
- - 1575 to 1618
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 volume (19 leaves); 24.3 x 19.3 centimeters; woodblock print.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Korea.
- - Content in Korean.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hŏ, Kyun, Author. Tale of Hong Gildong. [Anseong: Publisher Not Identified, to 1618, 1575] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666318/.
APA citation style:
Hŏ, K. (1575) Tale of Hong Gildong. [Anseong: Publisher Not Identified, to 1618] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666318/.
MLA citation style:
Hŏ, Kyun, Author. Tale of Hong Gildong. [Anseong: Publisher Not Identified, to 1618, 1575] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666318/>.