Book/Printed Material Pi xie lun 闢邪論
About this Item
- Pi xie lun
- Refuting Heresy.
- Pi xie lun (Refuting heresy) is by Yang Guangxian (1597--1669) from Shexian, Anhui Province, a fierce opponent of the early Christian missionaries to China. Beginning about 1659, Yang assumed the self-appointed role of campaigner against the missionaries. In 1644, German Jesuit Johann Adam Schall von Bell (circa 1592--1666) was asked to prepare for the new Qing dynasty a calendar based on Western mathematical calculations. Schall later was named director of the imperial Board of Astronomy. Yang submitted a document to the Board of Ceremonies, charging Schall with errors in astronomical calculations and accusing him and other missionaries of plotting against the state and of indoctrinating the people with false ideas. Schall, seven Chinese astronomers, and some other Chinese were imprisoned in 1665 and sentenced to death. The three other missionaries involved were Ferdinand Verbiest, Lodovico Buglio, and Gabriel de Magalhães, who were slated to be flogged and exiled. Schall and most of the Chinese were later freed, but five astronomers, all of them Christian converts, were executed. In the same year, Yang was appointed head of the Bureau of Astronomy, but he was removed in 1668 and replaced by the Jesuit Verbiest, who proved the miscalculations made by Yang. The case of Schall, who had since died, was reviewed and Yang was sentenced to banishment. Later released from exile due to his old age, he died on his way home. This manuscript copy, in one volume, is representative of Yang's work against calendars based on Western mathematical calculations. It consists of three juan, each of which has a subtitle. At the end of the text are five appendices of Yang's other works published between 1662 and 1678, including Hun tian shi er gong tu shuo (Illustrated twelve divisions of the celestial sphere). This is a very rare copy.
- Yang, Guangxian, 1597-1669 Author.
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1650 to 1670]
- - China
- - 1650 to 1670
- - Astronomy, Chinese
- - Calendar, Chinese
- - Calendars
- - Jesuits
- - Missionaries
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Manuscript copy"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 3 juan in 2 volumes.
- - Original resource at: National Central Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Yang, Guangxian, Author. Pi Xie Lun. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1670, 1650] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666324/.
APA citation style:
Yang, G. (1650) Pi Xie Lun. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1670] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666324/.
MLA citation style:
Yang, Guangxian, Author. Pi Xie Lun. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1670, 1650] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666324/>.