Book/Printed Material Jiang ning bu zheng si shu fu ting zhou xian yu di quan tu 江寧布政司屬府廳州縣輿地全圖
About this Item
- Jiang ning bu zheng si shu fu ting zhou xian yu di quan tu
- A Complete Illustrated Atlas of Counties under the Jurisdiction of the Jiangning Administrative Government.
- Jiangning was designated a province in the 25th year of the Qianlong reign of the Qing dynasty (1760). The provincial administrative government was established under the supervision of the governor-general of two Yangtze provinces, one of eight governor-generalships instituted during the Qing dynasty. The province straddled the Yangtze River and was close to the sea, bordering Anhui and Sichuan to the south and Henan to the north. Under its jurisdiction were four prefectures, two directly-controlled divisions, one subprefecture, and 33 divisions and counties. The territory stretched more than 750 li (the li measure varied over time; 1 li then equaled about 0.8 kilometer) from east to west and 1,200 li from north to south. Jiangning bu zheng si shu fu ting zhou xian yu di quan tu (A complete illustrated atlas of counties under the jurisdiction of the Jiangning administrative government) is a detailed representation of the province. Illustrations showing each locality vary in height (75--143.5 centimeters) and in width (37.2--139.8 centimeters). Latitude, longitude, and directional orientation are provided, but not degree markings or scale. Scale and distance thus cannot be determined from the size of the illustrations. The engraving is very refined, with clearly marked large and small characters written in fine calligraphy. The atlas contains a total of 43 maps, including a general map of Jiangning Province; maps of prefectures such as Huai'an, Yangzhou, and Xuzhou; general maps of the two directly controlled divisions, Haizhou and Tongzhou, and of the subprefecture, Haimen; and maps of counties, including Jurong, Lishui, and Jiangpu. The title of each map is handwritten in red. There is also an illustrated handbook with a red silk frame. The Jiangning map takes up an entire leaf; the other localities occupy only half a leaf. The explanations are accurate and concise, and the text is written in a style to be read aloud, presumably by experts. The redrawing of provinces, prefectures, and counties served various political and administrative purposes in China, and this work contains valuable information for historical research.
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1644 to 1911]
- - China--Jiangsu Province
- - 1644 to 1911
- - Geography
- - Local history
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 43 maps in 1 volume.
- - Original resource at: National Central Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jiang Ning Bu Zheng Si Shu Fu Ting Zhou Xian Yu DI Quan Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1911, 1644] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666328/.
APA citation style:
(1644) Jiang Ning Bu Zheng Si Shu Fu Ting Zhou Xian Yu DI Quan Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1911] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666328/.
MLA citation style:
Jiang Ning Bu Zheng Si Shu Fu Ting Zhou Xian Yu DI Quan Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1911, 1644] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666328/>.