Book/Printed Material Quan ying yao lan 全嬰要覽
About this Item
- Quan ying yao lan
- Compendium on Treatments for Infants
- Quan ying yao lan (Compendium on treatments for infants), in two juan and two volumes, was written by Min Daoyang and reprinted in the sixth year of the Longqing reign (1572) in the Ming dynasty, with a preface by Zheng Maokan, a postscript by Gong Bangheng, and an inscription by Deng Huaxi. This is the only extant copy of this edition. According to the preface in a later Qing edition, the book was originally in the collection of a feudal prince. It has impressions of the seals of two pharmacies, called Mingshan Tang and Anle Tang. The work is actually a compilation of various sources of different schools, combining both medical views and quackery. According to the preface by Zheng Maokan, Min Daoyang was influenced by Confucian teachings, wrote poetry, and was skilled in Chinese medicine. Besides writing a number of books, he concentrated on collecting prescriptions for infants. One day in 1572 he was invited to attend to a patient named Guo, a censor, and on that occasion acquired a prescription book from Guo's sickroom. After revising the manuscript and making additions and new classifications, in the winter of the same year Min Daoyang took the manuscript to Nanjing, where, with the generous financial support of another censor, he had it printed. Ever since the Tang and Song dynasties, Chinese physicians generally held that diagnosis for infants was difficult. Writing against this background, Min Daoyang emphasized that the key to diagnosing an infant was to examine the patient by his or her appearance, especially the countenance. To make the book more readable, Min included several directions written in rhyme and added illustrations to aid learning and memorization. One of his focuses was the causes, diagnoses, and treatment of smallpox, often a dangerous disease among infants. He followed the principles of Ming physician Wei Zhi in treatment, indicated preferences among various theories, and provided many different drug formulas.
- Min, Daoyang, Author
Created / Published
- Nanjing, Jiangsu Province : [Publisher not identified], [1572 to 1572]
- - China
- - 1572 to 1572
- - Children--Diseases
- - Pediatrics
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 2 juan in 2 volumes.
- - Original resource at: National Central Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Min, Daoyang, Author. Quan Ying Yao Lan. [Nanjing, Jiangsu Province: Publisher not identified, to, 1572] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666349/.
APA citation style:
Min, D. (1572) Quan Ying Yao Lan. [Nanjing, Jiangsu Province: Publisher not identified, to] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666349/.
MLA citation style:
Min, Daoyang, Author. Quan Ying Yao Lan. [Nanjing, Jiangsu Province: Publisher not identified, to, 1572] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666349/>.