Book/Printed Material Xin jiang di yu zong tu 新疆地輿總圖
About this Item
- Xin jiang di yu zong tu
- General Atlas of Xinjiang.
- This work is a hand-painted atlas of Xinjiang. The atlas is small, with frames of different sizes. There are no prefaces or postscripts, and the identity of the map maker is unknown. The atlas is executed in the traditional landscape-painting style and does not provide degrees of longitude and latitude, nor scales. Towns, rivers, lakes, and mountains are all depicted in their approximate locations. Each map covers one double-page spread. The four directions from the east to the north are marked, but the boundary lines of cities and towns are not drawn. At the front is an overview map of Xinjiang, which is followed by a map of Anxi Zhou, an area bordering present-day southern Gansu, southeastern Qinghai, and northwestern Sichuan. Anxi Zhou is the western half of the historical Hexi Corridor route, which crosses Xingxing Xia (The Gorge of the Stars) to enter Xinjiang. The third map depicts Hami, and is followed by maps of Balikun, Qitai, Dihua, Yili, Pizhan and Turfan, Harsar, Kuche, Salim and Baicheng, Aksuo, Yongning, Ye'erqiang, Hetian, and Kashgar. In all there are 16 maps in the atlas. There are no textual explanations, except for a note on the introductory map describing the route from Suzhou to Hami and listing 27 post stages on the route and their distances, and a note at the head of the Anxi map describing 12 post stages and the distances between them. The map of Yili clearly depicts the borders with present-day Kazakhstan, reaching far north of Lake Zaysan and Lake Balkhash. The entire area of Yili River is shown as located within the territory of China, which indicates that the atlas was probably printed during the Qianlong and Jiaqing reigns of the Qing dynasty (1736--1820).
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1736 to 1795]
- - China--Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region
- - 1736 to 1795
- - Historical geography
- - Manuscript maps
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 folded volume, 18.1 x 13.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Central Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Xin Jiang DI Yu Zong Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1795, 1736] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666365/.
APA citation style:
(1736) Xin Jiang DI Yu Zong Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1795] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666365/.
MLA citation style:
Xin Jiang DI Yu Zong Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1795, 1736] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666365/>.