Book/Printed Material Shang han bai zheng ge 傷寒百證歌
About this Item
- Shang han bai zheng ge
- A Hundred Verses on Manifestations of Cold Damage Disorders
- In one of the prefaces to his works, the author Xu Shuwei (1079--1154) describes a certain Hua Tuo, a scholar born around 140 AD during the Han dynasty, who, after seeing many people die in epidemics, famines, and wars, chose to abandon scholarship to pursue a medical career. Referring to himself, Xu Shuwei writes, "every time I think of the lack of good physicians and of patients who are resigned to die, how could someone with capability sit by and not help? Therefore I have buried my fame as a scholar and pursue medicine. Now, at the twilight of my life, I have collected records of the past and written a hundred songs, entitled Shang han bai zheng ge (A hundred verses on manifestations of cold damage disorders), as well as the work Shang han fa wei lun (Subtleties of cold damage revealed), in two juan, and had them printed so that they will spread among the people." Among Xu's other works are 81 essays on treatments and a manual on pulse, with 36 illustrations, based on the work of the Eastern Han-dynasty physician Zhang Zhongjing (flourished 168--96) on pulse diagnosis. The present work is a manuscript edition with a preface by Xu. It is in five chapters, each containing 20 verses. The verse form, intended to make the text easier to understand and remember, greatly contributed to its dissemination and popularization. In some places, brief annotations were added. These were mostly attributed to Zhang Zhongjing, who also made references to other texts. The copy has two inscriptions by the Qing bibliophile Huang Pilie (1763--1825), which indicate that he owned two other copies of this Yuan edition.
- Xu, Shuwei, 1079-1154 Author
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1089 to 1154]
- - China
- - 130 to 1154
- - Medicine, Chinese
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Only preface, table of contents and 1st page of juan 1 are included in the WDL presentation.|Issued with Shang han fa wei lun (Subtleties of cold damage revealed)"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 5 juan, 2 volumes : illustrations ; 23.4 x 13.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Central Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Xu, Shuwei, Author. Shang Han Bai Zheng Ge. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1154, 1089] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666381/.
APA citation style:
Xu, S. (1089) Shang Han Bai Zheng Ge. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1154] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666381/.
MLA citation style:
Xu, Shuwei, Author. Shang Han Bai Zheng Ge. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1154, 1089] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666381/>.