Book/Printed Material Chong xiu zheng he jing shi zheng lei bei yong ben cao 重修政和經史證類備用本草
About this Item
- Chong xiu zheng he jing shi zheng lei bei yong ben cao
- Revised Zhenghe Edition of Classified and Practical Basic Pharmacopeia Based on Historical Classics.
- The author of this work is the famous Song physician Tang Shenwei, a native of Huayang (in present-day Chengdu, Sichuan province) , who came from a family of many generations of physicians. He was particularly known for his practice of herbal medicine and his collections of prescriptions found in classic works. Si ku quan shu zong mu ti yao (Annotated bibliography of the complete imperial library) lists two works attributed to him: Daguan ben cao (Classified herbal medicine of the Daguan period) in 30 juan, and Zheng lei ben cao (Classified herbal medicine) in 32 juan. This is the 1468 reprint edition, published by Yuan Jie, provincial governor of Shandong, based on the 1057 edition of Jiayou ben cao (Materia medica printed in the Jiayou reign), but it includes new materials that Tang collected from 247 classics of philosophy, history and other natural and social sciences, as well as the Buddhist canon. Tang also added information about methods of processing and effective prescriptions that were drawn from his own experience as a practitioner. The work is classified according to the subjects of jade, stone, grass, wood, human, animals, birds, insects and fish, fruits, grains, and vegetables. While Jiayou ben cao lists 1,118 herbal medicines, this work is expanded to 1,746 medicines. The book is a prominent representative of Song medical literature. It was published privately but promulgated officially and was popular for several hundred years.
- Tang, Shenwei, active 11th century-12th century Author.
Created / Published
- Shandong, China : Yuan Jie, 1468.
- - China
- - 1000 to 1468
- - Materia medica
- - Medicine, Chinese
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Only prefaces and tables of contents are included in the WDL presentation."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 30 juan, 24 volumes ; 25.7 x 16.9 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Central Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Tang, Shenwei, Active 11Th Century-12Th Century Author. Chong Xiu Zheng He Jing Shi Zheng Lei Bei Yong Ben Cao. Shandong, China: Yuan Jie, 1468. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666395/.
APA citation style:
Tang, S. (1468) Chong Xiu Zheng He Jing Shi Zheng Lei Bei Yong Ben Cao. Shandong, China: Yuan Jie. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666395/.
MLA citation style:
Tang, Shenwei, Active 11Th Century-12Th Century Author. Chong Xiu Zheng He Jing Shi Zheng Lei Bei Yong Ben Cao. Shandong, China: Yuan Jie, 1468. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666395/>.