Book/Printed Material Qianshi xiao er yao zheng zhi jue 錢氏小兒藥證直訣
About this Item
- Qianshi xiao er yao zheng zhi jue
- Qian Yi's Key to Therapeutics of Children's Diseases
- This work, which was issued in either three or eight juan, was written by Qian Yi (circa 1032--1113), a physician of the Song dynasty, compiled by Yan Xiaozhong, a Song pediatrician, and issued in the first year of Song emperor Xuanhe, who reigned in 1119--25. This three-juan copy was reprinted at the workshop of Qixiutang during the Ming dynasty. Qian Yi's father was also a physician who enjoyed drinking and travel. One day he went to the sea and never returned. Qian Yi searched repeatedly for his father and eventually found him, but by then Qian Yi was 30 years old. Qian Yi also lost his mother when he was young, so he was raised by his aunt. Suffering from consumption, he compounded his own medicine. He went to the Eastern Mountain to pick fuling fungus (Poria cocos), a medicinal mushroom. He eventually regained his health and died at the age of 82. Qian Yi specialized in the treatment of children and already in his lifetime enjoyed a reputation as a pediatrician. In this famous work he introduced his herbal tonic formula, which became widely used for treating children and the elderly. He was called to the imperial court to treat the illness of the oldest princess and was later given the title of Hanlin physician. He also cured the convulsions of the young prince. The emperor promoted him to court physician and richly rewarded him, while the nobility and their families flocked to him for care. This work had far-reaching influence on pediatric medicine in China. The work also includes Qian Yi's biography, written by Liu Qi, and two appendices, Fu fang (Prescriptions) by Yan Xiaozhong and Dong shi xiao er ban zhen bei ji fang lun (Dong's prescriptions for emergency treatment of typhus in children) by Dong Ji, another Song pediatrician, with a preface by Qian Yi (dated 1093).
- Qian, Yi, approximately 1032-1113 Author
- Yan, Xiaozhong Editor
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : Qixiutang, [1368 to 1644]
- - China
- - 1050 to 1219
- - Children--Diseases
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Only preface and partial text of juan 1 are included in the WDL presentation."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 3 juan, 4 volumes ; 21.6 x 15.6 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Central Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Qian, Yi, Approximately Author, and Xiaozhong Editor Yan. Qianshi Xiao Er Yao Zheng Zhi Jue. [place of publication not identified: Qixiutang, to 1644, 1368] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666397/.
APA citation style:
Qian, Y. & Yan, X. E. (1368) Qianshi Xiao Er Yao Zheng Zhi Jue. [place of publication not identified: Qixiutang, to 1644] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666397/.
MLA citation style:
Qian, Yi, Approximately Author, and Xiaozhong Editor Yan. Qianshi Xiao Er Yao Zheng Zhi Jue. [place of publication not identified: Qixiutang, to 1644, 1368] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666397/>.