Book/Printed Material The Great Tang Dynasty Treatise on Astrology of the Kaiyuan Era.
Show more resources (2)
About this Item
- The Great Tang Dynasty Treatise on Astrology of the Kaiyuan Era.
- Da Tang kai yuan zhan jing is a Chinese astrology encyclopedia, compiled by imperial order by numerous scholars around 718-724, during the Kaiyuan era of the Tang dynasty. The work was led by Gautama Siddha (flourished in the 8th century), the Tang-dynasty astronomer and astrologer of Indian descent, who was born in Chang'an. The book, also known as the Kaiyuan Star Observations, contained approximately 600,000 words in 120 juan. The compilation was based on many astronomical, astrological, and divination materials from prior to the Tang dynasty. In particular, it incorporated many fragmentary works and works no longer extant from Shi Shen, Gan De (included in juan 23), and Wu Xian, from the Spring and Autumn period and the Warring States period (770--221 BCE), such as the three star charts made by Gan De. It also includes the translation of the astronomical table of sine by the Indian mathematician and astronomer, Aryabhata (born 950), which shows early signs of international interaction by astronomers. By the tenth century, copies of the manuscript began to disappear. It was said that around 1616--17 scholar Cheng Mingshan found a copy of the work in the stomach of an old Buddha sculpture. Earlier works were in 110 juan, but this copy has 120 juan, with the last ten juan containing information on grasses, trees, animals, and human- and animal-shaped vessels, which could have been added later. The work begins with a discussion of the structure of heaven and Earth, discusses divinations relating to heaven, Earth, sun, moon, the five stars, 28 constellations; stars, such as meteors, parasitic stars, nova and comets, guest stars, and shooting stars; wind, clouds, rainbows, frost and snow, and thunder. Most importantly, the work collected the results of the observations, theories, and prognostications of earlier astronomers and astrologers prior to the Tang dynasty.
- Gautama Siddha, flourished 8th century Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : Lu Xiangpu, Sanjian Caotang, [1368 to 1644]
- - China
- - 714 to 724
- - Divination
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Only preface and tables of contents of the 120 juan are included in the WDL presentation."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 120 juan, 13 volumes ; 18.2 x 13.4 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Central Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gautama Siddha, Flourished 8Th Century Author. The Great Tang Dynasty Treatise on Astrology of the Kaiyuan Era. [place of publication not identified: Lu Xiangpu, Sanjian Caotang, to 1644, 1368] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666403/.
APA citation style:
Gautama Siddha, F. 8. C. A. (1368) The Great Tang Dynasty Treatise on Astrology of the Kaiyuan Era. [place of publication not identified: Lu Xiangpu, Sanjian Caotang, to 1644] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666403/.
MLA citation style:
Gautama Siddha, Flourished 8Th Century Author. The Great Tang Dynasty Treatise on Astrology of the Kaiyuan Era. [place of publication not identified: Lu Xiangpu, Sanjian Caotang, to 1644, 1368] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666403/>.