Book/Printed Material A Collection of Japanese Paintings.
About this Item
- A Collection of Japanese Paintings.
- This picture book is by Hishikawa Moronobu (died 1694) a representative artist in the earliest days of ukiyo-e. It consists of 20 pictures depicting popular scenes from classical Japanese literature, including Ise monogatari (The tales of Ise), Genji monogatari (The tale of Genji), and yōkyoku (chants of Noh plays). Moronobu was the first artist who put his signature on printed books. On the colophon of this work, he identifies himself as Yamato-e-shi (artist of classical Japanese paintings), thereby showing his professional confidence in himself as an artist. The National Diet Library holds the first edition of the work, with brush coloring added later.
- Hishikawa, Moronobu, circa 1618-1694 Artist.
Created / Published
- Edo : Urokogataya Sanzaemon, 1680.
- - Japan
- - 1600 to 1699
- - Block printing
- - Japanese literature
- - Nō plays
- - The Tale of Genji
- - The Tales of Ise
- - Ukiyo-e
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 book ; 26.8 x 18.4 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Japanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hishikawa, Moronobu, Circa Artist. A Collection of Japanese Paintings. Edo: Urokogataya Sanzaemon, 1680. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666426/.
APA citation style:
Hishikawa, M. (1680) A Collection of Japanese Paintings. Edo: Urokogataya Sanzaemon. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666426/.
MLA citation style:
Hishikawa, Moronobu, Circa Artist. A Collection of Japanese Paintings. Edo: Urokogataya Sanzaemon, 1680. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666426/>.