Book/Printed Material Ying huan zhi lue 瀛環志略
About this Item
- Ying huan zhi lue
- Brief Records of the World
- Ying huan zhi lue (Brief records of the world) by Xu Jiyu and Hai guo tu zhi (Illustrated introduction to countries over the seas) by Wei Yuan are the first two masterpieces of modern China on world history. They are great collected works on the geography of Asia produced during the mid-19th century. Xu Jiyu's book was completed in the 28th year of the Daoguang reign (1848), in 10 juan and 200,000 characters. After its publication it became very popular and widely disseminated. The key feature is its 40 maps with textual explanations. At the beginning of the volume are two hemispheric maps of the globe. Also included are maps of the continents. Individual maps are provided for important countries on each continent, all configured according to Western maps. Presenting a total of 80 countries on five continents, the work introduces in great detail geographical locations, mountains and rivers, terrains and climates, local products and customs, historical developments, and other contemporary subjects. The book offered readers extensive knowledge on world history and geography. In addition, it affirms the ways of modern capitalism and gives details on democratic parliamentary systems, which later greatly influenced the Westernization Movement and the 100 Days Reform Movement of 1898 in China, thus serving as a prelude to the wider spread of modern ideas.
- Xu, Jiyu, 1795-1873 Author
Created / Published
- Fujian Province : [Publisher not identified], [1794 to 1873]
- - China
- - 1794 to 1873
- - Description and travel
- - World maps
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 6 volumes ; 24.8 x 18.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Xu, Jiyu, Author. Ying Huan Zhi Lue. [Fujian Province: Publisher not identified, to 1873, 1794] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666431/.
APA citation style:
Xu, J. (1794) Ying Huan Zhi Lue. [Fujian Province: Publisher not identified, to 1873] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666431/.
MLA citation style:
Xu, Jiyu, Author. Ying Huan Zhi Lue. [Fujian Province: Publisher not identified, to 1873, 1794] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666431/>.