Book/Printed Material Wai tai mi yao fang si shi juan 外台秘要方四十卷
About this Item
- Wai tai mi yao fang si shi juan
- Arcane Medical Essentials from the Imperial Library
- The book Wai tai mi yao fang (Arcane medical essentials from the Imperial Library) records 69 medical classics published before the Tang dynasty (618--907) and contains 6,900 entries. Parts of original works that no longer exist thus are preserved in this compilation. It lists many diseases and methods of diagnosis, records methods of compounding medicines, and discusses acupuncture, bathing, medical exercises, artificial emergency aid, and other topics. Compiled by Wang Tao (670-755), the work represents an outstanding contribution to the preservation of traditional medical classics and summarizes the medical achievements of traditional Chinese medicine before the Tang dynasty. This encyclopedic medical work appeared after the publication of Sun zhen ren bei ji qian jin yao fang (Daoist Sun's invaluable prescriptions for ready reference), a general book of medicine by Sun Simiao (581-682).
- Wang, Tao, 670-755 Compiler
Created / Published
- Hangzhou : Tea-Salt Commission of the Eastern Zhejiang Jurisdiction, [1131 to 1162]
- - China
- - 400 to 752
- - Acupuncture
- - Diseases
- - Drugs
- - Medicine, Chinese
- - Prescriptions
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Ming and Qing manuscript editions combined"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 36 volumes ; 25.3 x 17.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wang, Tao, 670-755 Compiler. Wai Tai MI Yao Fang Si Shi Juan. [Hangzhou: Tea-Salt Commission of the Eastern Zhejiang Jurisdiction, to 1162, 1131] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666435/.
APA citation style:
Wang, T. (1131) Wai Tai MI Yao Fang Si Shi Juan. [Hangzhou: Tea-Salt Commission of the Eastern Zhejiang Jurisdiction, to 1162] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666435/.
MLA citation style:
Wang, Tao, 670-755 Compiler. Wai Tai MI Yao Fang Si Shi Juan. [Hangzhou: Tea-Salt Commission of the Eastern Zhejiang Jurisdiction, to 1162, 1131] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666435/>.