Book/Printed Material Chong xiu Zhenghe jing shi zheng lei bei yong ben cao 重修政和經史證類備用本草
About this Item
- Chong xiu Zhenghe jing shi zheng lei bei yong ben cao
- Revised Zhenghe Edition of Classified and Practical Basic Materia Medica Based on Historical Classics
- Chong xiu Zhenghe jing shi zheng lei bei yong ben cao (Revised Zhenghe edition of classified and practical basic materia medica based on historical classics) is an encyclopedic work on pharmacopeia by Song physician Tang Shenwei. Its origins range from Shennong ben cao jing (Shennong's materia medica) of the Qin and Han dynasties to Zheng lei ben cao (Classified herbal medicine), also by Tang and published before this edition. The work lists 1,746 herbal medicines. It was widely known and recommended in medical circles for its rich contents and practical applications. This copy was based on Zhenghe ben cao (Classified and practical basic materia medica drawn from historical classics: Revised and enlarged during the Zhenghe Reign), printed and distributed by Zhang Cunhui of Pingyang, Shanxi, in 1249, around the time of Güyük Khan, known as Dingzong. It also incorporates elements from Kou Zongshi's Ben cao yan yi (Augmented materia medica). The page design is very fine, with the text interspersed with illustrations, which are representative of woodblock engraving in the northern style. This copy was owned by numerous renowned book collectors, including Zhu Dashao, Xiang Dushou, and Qian Qianyi of the Ming dynasty, and Mao Jin, Ji Zhenyi, Xu Qianxue, Yuan Tingtao, Wang Shizhong, Jiang Guangyu, and others of the Qing dynasty, thus its provenance can easily be traced. It is of great value.
- Kou, Zongshi, flourished 1111-1117 Contributor
- Tang, Shenwei, active 11th century-12th century Author
Created / Published
- Pingyang, Shanxi : Zhang Cunhui, 1249.
- - China--Shaanxi Province
- - 1249
- - Chinese
- - Herbal remedies
- - Herbs
- - Materia medica
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Stitched binding ; 17.2 x 13.2 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kou, Zongshi, Flourished Contributor, and Shenwei Tang. Chong xiu Zhenghe jing shi zheng lei bei yong ben cao. Pingyang, Shanxi: Zhang Cunhui, 1249. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666437/.
APA citation style:
Kou, Z. & Tang, S. (1249) Chong xiu Zhenghe jing shi zheng lei bei yong ben cao. Pingyang, Shanxi: Zhang Cunhui. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666437/.
MLA citation style:
Kou, Zongshi, Flourished Contributor, and Shenwei Tang. Chong xiu Zhenghe jing shi zheng lei bei yong ben cao. Pingyang, Shanxi: Zhang Cunhui, 1249. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666437/>.