Book/Printed Material Taiping hui min he ji ju fang : shi juan 太平惠民和剂局方 : 十卷
About this Item
- Taiping hui min he ji ju fang : shi juan
- 太平惠民和剂局方 : 十卷
- Prescriptions of the Bureau of the Management and Administration of Pharmacy, in Ten Juan
- Tai ping hui min he ji ju fang (Prescriptions of the Bureau of the Management and Administration of Pharmacy) is the earliest book of patent medicine in China and in the world. The work records prescriptions of patent medicines compiled by the official pharmacy of the Imperial Medical Bureau during the Northern Song dynasty (960-1127). It contains 788 prescriptions in 14 categories, and provides, under each prescription, details on the expected cure and components of the medicine. The work serves as a manual, making it easier for physicians and patients to choose, acquire, and compound the medicines. Of the early Chinese works on prescriptions, besides Zhang Zhongjing's Shang han za bing lun (Treatise on cold pathogenic and miscellaneous diseases), this work has been the most useful and the most influential among physicians. Many of its prescriptions are regarded by modern traditional Chinese medicine as having the same curative effects. Among the extant editions, this one, printed at the workshop of Rixintang in Jianyang, is an early copy with complete content.
- Chen, Shiwen Author
Created / Published
- Fujian : Rixintang of Gao Family, 1366.
- - China
- - 1107 to 1252
- - Drugs
- - Materia medica
- - Medicine, Chinese
- - Prescriptions
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 6 volumes ; 23.6 x 15.4 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Chen, Shiwen Author. Taiping Hui Min He Ji Ju Fang: Shi Juan. Fujian: Rixintang of Gao Family, 1366. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666438/.
APA citation style:
Chen, S. A. (1366) Taiping Hui Min He Ji Ju Fang: Shi Juan. Fujian: Rixintang of Gao Family. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666438/.
MLA citation style:
Chen, Shiwen Author. Taiping Hui Min He Ji Ju Fang: Shi Juan. Fujian: Rixintang of Gao Family, 1366. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666438/>.