Book/Printed Material Ben cao gang mu wu shi er juan fu tu er juan 本草纲目 五十二卷附图二卷
About this Item
- Ben cao gang mu wu shi er juan fu tu er juan
- 本草纲目 五十二卷附图二卷
- Compendium of Materia Medica, 52 Juan; Illustrations, in Two Juan.
- Ben cao gang mu (Compendium of Materia Medica) is a systematic encyclopedia of traditional Chinese medicine before the 16th century. The work, in 52 juan of text and two juan of illustrations, consists of 1,892 entries, 374 of them added by the author and compiler Li Shizhen (1518-93). Included are about 11,000 prescriptions. It is a priceless legacy of the treasury of Chinese medicine and still applicable. Li Shizhen completed the first draft of the text in 1578, but it was not published until the 21st year (1593) of the Wanli reign of the Ming dynasty, after his death, when it was printed by Hu Chenglong in Jinling. The Jinling copy is the earliest version, drawn and proofread by the Li family and considered the original edition. At present it is kept in the Shanghai Library and in the library of the China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Beijing. In the 31st year (1603) of the Wanli reign, the work was reprinted in Jiangxi. The later editions were all based on the 1603 edition and spread widely throughout the country. The original 1590 preface by Wang Shizhen (1526--90), the reprint preface by Zhang Dingsi dated 1603, the editorial guide, table of contents, the start of juan one, and illustrations are shown here. Ben cao gang mu was inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register in 2011.
- Li, Shizhen, 1518-1593 Author.
- Wang, Shizhen, 1526-1590 Author of Introduction, etc..
- Zhang, Dingsi, 1543-1603 Author of Introduction, etc..
Created / Published
- Jiangxi Sheng : Zhang Dingsi, 1603.
- - China
- - 1578 to 1603
- - Materia medica
- - Medicine, Chinese
- - Memory of the World
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Only the original preface (1590), reprint preface (1603), explanatory notes, and juan 1 of the prefatory material are included in the WDL presentation."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 56 volumes ; 22.6 x 15.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Li, Shizhen, Author, Shizhen Wang, and Dingsi Zhang. Ben Cao Gang Mu Wu Shi Er Juan Fu Tu Er Juan. Jiangxi Sheng: Zhang Dingsi, 1603. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666452/.
APA citation style:
LI, S., Wang, S. & Zhang, D. (1603) Ben Cao Gang Mu Wu Shi Er Juan Fu Tu Er Juan. Jiangxi Sheng: Zhang Dingsi. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666452/.
MLA citation style:
Li, Shizhen, Author, Shizhen Wang, and Dingsi Zhang. Ben Cao Gang Mu Wu Shi Er Juan Fu Tu Er Juan. Jiangxi Sheng: Zhang Dingsi, 1603. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666452/>.