Book/Printed Material Gu za ju er shi chong : er shi juan 古雜劇二十種:二十卷
Show more resources (3)
About this Item
- Gu za ju er shi chong : er shi juan
- Anthology of 20 Yuan Dramas: 20 Juan.
- Gu za ju er shi zhong (Anthology of 20 Yuan dramas) was compiled by Wang Jide (died 1623), the Ming playwright and drama theorist. It is the most-important Yuan edition still extant. According to the preface, written by Chen Yujiao (1544-1611), style name Yuyang Xianshi, the purpose of the collection was to preserve models of classic Yuan drama. The anthology contains 20 Yuan dramas in complete form and of elegant composition. Among them are Qian da yin zhi kan fei yi meng (Prefect Qian wisely solves an unjust case), Dongting Hu Liu Yi chuan shu (Liu Yi delivers a letter at Dongting Lake), Li Yaxian hua jiu qu jiang chi (Li Yaxian amid flowers and wine at the Pond of the Winding Stream), and Wang jiang ting zhong qiu qie kuai dan (Tan Ji'er preparing fish in the Riverside Pavilion at the Mid-Autumn Festival). The copy shown here is a Ming edition of the Wanli period (1572-1620), printed by Wang Jide's printing house, Guquzhai, with beautiful illustrations. It consists of 20 juan in ten volumes.
- Chen, Yujiao, 1544-1611 Author of Introduction, etc..
- Wang, Jide, died 1623 Compiler.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : Guquzhai, [1572 to 1620]
- - China
- - 1572 to 1620
- - Chinese drama
- - Chinese drama--Yuan dynasty, 1260-1368
- - Chinese literature
- - Drama
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 10 volumes : illustrations ; 26.9 x 17.2 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Chen, Yujiao, Author Of Introduction, Etc, and Jide Wang. Gu Za Ju Er Shi Chong: Er Shi Juan. [place of publication not identified: Guquzhai, to 1620, 1572] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666480/.
APA citation style:
Chen, Y. & Wang, J. (1572) Gu Za Ju Er Shi Chong: Er Shi Juan. [place of publication not identified: Guquzhai, to 1620] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666480/.
MLA citation style:
Chen, Yujiao, Author Of Introduction, Etc, and Jide Wang. Gu Za Ju Er Shi Chong: Er Shi Juan. [place of publication not identified: Guquzhai, to 1620, 1572] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666480/>.