Book/Printed Material Yi wen lei ju : Yi bai juan 藝文類聚 : 一百卷
About this Item
- Yi wen lei ju : Yi bai juan
- 藝文類聚 : 一百卷
- Classified Anthology of Literary Works: 100 Juan
- Yi wen lei ju (Classified anthology of literary works) is an encyclopedic compilation by Ouyang Xun (557-641) and others, created by order of Li Yuan, Emperor Gaozu (reigned 618-26) of the Tang Dynasty. It was completed in the seventh year (624) of the Wude era. The work is divided into 46 sections and numerous subsections. The contents are arranged, as described, with "matter listed in front, followed by literature." They are organized with works on classics, history, and philosophy in the earlier sections and works of poetry and prose in the later sections. The latter are ordered by literary styles, for example narrative verse fu, poetry, chants, odes, and so forth. Unlike other encyclopedias of earlier centuries that focused either on "matter" or "literature," this work covers both. The sources for all of the quotations are cited; they are mostly encyclopedias and collections from the Six Dynasties (220--589). The quotations come from some 1300-1400 sources, many of which are no longer in existence; they have been preserved in this work, through which they have been widely circulated. This copy is a Ming edition, printed in the tenth year (1515) of the Zhengde reign by Hua Jian of Wuxi. The Hua family was one of the Ming publishers using copper movable type. The family produced various types of books; the quality of the printing was superb. Most of the books published by Lanxuetang, Hua Jian's printing house, bear the printer's colophons and labels, such as "Copper movable type printed by Hua Jian, Yungang, of Lanxuetang in Xishan." Presented here are the prefaces, table of contents, and juan 1 of Yi wen lei ju.
- Hua, Jian, active approximately 1500 Printer
- Ouyang, Xun, 557-641 Compiler
- Tang Gaozu, Emperor of China, 565-635 Patron
Created / Published
- Wuxi, China : Lanxuetang, Huajian, Xishan, 1515.
- - China--Jiangsu Province--Wuxi
- - 624
- - Chinese classics
- - Chinese literature
- - Encyclopedias and dictionaries
- - Quotations
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 150 pages ; 27 x 16.2 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hua, Jian, Active Approximately 1500 Printer, Xun Ouyang, and Emperor Of China Tang Gaozu. Yi wen lei ju: Yi bai juan. Wuxi, China: Lanxuetang, Huajian, Xishan, 1515. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666484/.
APA citation style:
Hua, J., Ouyang, X. & Tang Gaozu, E. O. C. (1515) Yi wen lei ju: Yi bai juan. Wuxi, China: Lanxuetang, Huajian, Xishan. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666484/.
MLA citation style:
Hua, Jian, Active Approximately 1500 Printer, Xun Ouyang, and Emperor Of China Tang Gaozu. Yi wen lei ju: Yi bai juan. Wuxi, China: Lanxuetang, Huajian, Xishan, 1515. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666484/>.