Book/Printed Material Jin yu tu pu : bu fen juan 金魚圖譜 : 不分卷
About this Item
- Jin yu tu pu : bu fen juan
- 金魚圖譜 : 不分卷
- Illustrated Album of Goldfish
- Very few early Chinese works on goldfish farming exist. Pieces written on this topic generally were found scattered among old records and documents. Dating from 1848, Jin yu tu pu (Illustrated album of goldfish) is the earliest existing work with color illustrations on goldfish. The compiler was Juqu Shannong (Farmer of Juqu Mountain) of Qing. His real name and dates are unknown. The illustrator was Shang Zhaoshan (1835--83), courtesy name Yangzhi, a native of Jurong, Jiangsu. Shang excelled in painting and was a collector of bronzes and jades. In this album, he skillfully inserted his courtesy and style names in the decorative borders of the flyleaf. The book was the product of a collaborative effort, with the compiler writing about the methods of cultivating goldfish and the illustrator applying Chinese painting techniques and the Western principle of perspective to depict goldfish in unusual positions and in luxurious colors. Very few copies of this work survive. The text consists of 11 sections, beginning with origin, cultivation in ponds, cultivation in urns, breeding, species, color distinction, appearance, feed, diseases, individuality, and uses. The author uses simple and concise language, and he discusses the methods of breeding goldfish in a scientifically systematic way. The text and illustrations make the work immediately accessible. Attached to the end of the text is a catalog of the goldfish types, with 56 color illustrations. The images of goldfish appear three-dimensional. They are both brilliantly colored and lifelike, which renders the work highly enjoyable.
- Juqu, Shannong Compiler
- Shang, Zhaoshan Illustrator
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], 1848.
- - China
- - 1848
- - Chinese classics
- - Chinese literature
- - Domestic animals
- - Freshwater fish
- - Goldfish
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 66 folios (56 illustrations) ; 27.8 x 15.8 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Juqu, Shannong Compiler, and Zhaoshan Illustrator Shang. Jin Yu Tu Pu: Bu Fen Juan. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, 1848] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666488/.
APA citation style:
Juqu, S. C. & Shang, Z. I. (1848) Jin Yu Tu Pu: Bu Fen Juan. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666488/.
MLA citation style:
Juqu, Shannong Compiler, and Zhaoshan Illustrator Shang. Jin Yu Tu Pu: Bu Fen Juan. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, 1848] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666488/>.