Book/Printed Material Bo wu zhi 博物志
About this Item
- Bo wu zhi
- Records of the Investigation of Things
- Bo wu zhi (Records of the investigation of things) was originally compiled during the Western Jin (265-316) by Zhang Hua (232-300). It was annotated by Zhou Riyong and others during the Song dynasty and was published by Ming collector Wu Guan, who included it in his series Gu jin yi shi (Series of ancient and modern historical stories). Zhang Hua, courtesy name Maoxian, was a native of Fangcheng, in the commandery of Fanyang (present-day Gu'an, Hebei). His highest post was that of minister of works. According to Shi yi ji (Research into lost records) by Wang Jia of Eastern Jin (317-420), Zhang Hua showed a great interest in reading works on strange events and supernatural phenomena, and he collected historical stories from all over the country. He first wrote Bo wu zhi in 400 juan, which he then presented to Emperor Wudi (reigned 265-90). He later reduced the text to ten juan. The work recorded details on various subjects, including geography, antiquities, birds and animals, historical stories, mythology, alchemy, and so forth. The result was a collection of stories written in the genre of zhiguai (supernatural stories) about natural wonders and magical phenomena. The original work was lost. The existing edition is a compilation of stories taken from many early classics and adopted from other stories. Some of them did not originate from Zhang Hua's original work. The copy presented here is the Wu Guan edition of Ming, one of the works included in his series Gu jin yi shi (Series of ancient and modern lost histories). It was printed during the Wanli era (1573-1620). Qing book collector Huang Pilie collated the copy with his notations, based on a Song facsimile copy.
- Zhang, Hua, 232-300 Compiler
- Zhou, Riyong Annotator
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : Wu Guan, [1573 to 1620]
- - China
- - 265 to 290
- - Chinese classics
- - Chinese literature
- - Encyclopedias and dictionaries
- - Supernatural beings
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 volume : stitch-bound ; 24 x 13.6 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Zhang, Hua, 232-300 Compiler, and Riyong Annotator Zhou. Bo Wu Zhi. [place of publication not identified: Wu Guan, to 1620, 1573] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666509/.
APA citation style:
Zhang, H. & Zhou, R. A. (1573) Bo Wu Zhi. [place of publication not identified: Wu Guan, to 1620] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666509/.
MLA citation style:
Zhang, Hua, 232-300 Compiler, and Riyong Annotator Zhou. Bo Wu Zhi. [place of publication not identified: Wu Guan, to 1620, 1573] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666509/>.