Book/Printed Material Xu xia ke you ji : bu fen juan 徐霞客遊記 : 不分卷
About this Item
- Xu xia ke you ji : bu fen juan
- 徐霞客遊記 : 不分卷
- Travel Diaries of Xu Xiake: Not Divided in Juan.
- Xu Xiake you ji (Travel diaries of Xu Xiake) by Xu Hongzu (1586-1641) was the first travel record in China, with detailed geographical descriptions of the places visited by the author. The book contains the earliest descriptions of karst rocks in China along with detailed research on the causes of this rock formation. Xu Hongzu, courtesy name Xiake, was a native of Jiangyin (present-day Jiangyin, Jiangsu). Already in his youth he was known as a special and uniquely talented individual. He began to travel in his twenties. Within 30 years, he had crossed the Min Jiang River in Fujian in the east, climbed Hua Shan Mountain in the west, reached Yan and Jin in the north, and gone all the way to Yunnan, Guizhou, Guangdong, and Guangxi in the south, thus covering most of China. He wrote about every place that he visited. Si ku quan shu zong mu ti yao (Annotated bibliography of the complete imperial library) states that Xu "recorded what he saw and heard with his own eyes and ears, with more accurate descriptions. As Guizhou and Yunnan are barren and far away, there has not been much local history written. This work provides a clear and detailed analysis of the arteries and veins of mountains and rivers, with research based on evidence." After Xu's death, his manuscripts were scattered; what was passed on was compiled and edited by later generations. Presented here is a Qing manuscript edition from the Zhibuzu Zhai Collection of Bao Tingbo (1728-1814), which is among the earliest existing copies. The handwriting is elegant and exquisite. The work was edited and corrected by Bao Tingbo and has inscriptions by Qing book collectors Wu Qian and Tang Hanti. At the front is a hand-copied Xu Xiake zhuan (Biography of Xu Xiake), written by Qing official and scholar Qian Qianyi (1582-1664).
- Bao, Tingbo, 1728-1814 Editor.
- Qian, Qianyi, 1582-1664 Author of Introduction, etc..
- Xu, Hongzu, 1586-1641 Author.
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1613 to 1640]
- - China--Fujian Province
- - China--Guizhou Province
- - China--Shaanxi Province--Huayin
- - China--Tianjin--Tianjin
- - China--Yunnan Province
- - 1613 to 1640
- - Biography
- - Chinese literature
- - Description and travel
- - Explorers
- - Physical geography
- - Rock formations
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 5 volumes : stitch-bound ; 30.0 x 18.5 centimeter.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bao, Tingbo, Editor, Qianyi Qian, and Hongzu Xu. Xu Xia Ke You Ji: Bu Fen Juan. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1640, 1613] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666521/.
APA citation style:
Bao, T., Qian, Q. & Xu, H. (1613) Xu Xia Ke You Ji: Bu Fen Juan. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1640] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666521/.
MLA citation style:
Bao, Tingbo, Editor, Qianyi Qian, and Hongzu Xu. Xu Xia Ke You Ji: Bu Fen Juan. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1640, 1613] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666521/>.