Book/Printed Material Jiangsu Fujian yan hai tu shui 江蘇福建沿海圖說
About this Item
- Jiangsu Fujian yan hai tu shui
- Illustrated Coastal Maps of Jiangsu and Fujian
- This compilation of maps, which initially were published separately, was the work of Zhu Zhengyuan of the late Qing dynasty, based on his field investigations and consultation of records on marine maps. The headline title of the original work reads: Zhejiang (huo Jiangsu, Fujian) yan hai tu shuo (Illustrated coastal maps of Zhejiang [or Jiangsu, Fujian]). On the top right are the names of strategic ports; at the bottom are the page numbers. On the title page, the title is written in the style of Wei stele script in large characters and reads: "Illustrated Zhejiang coastal map, with a chart of islands." (Jiangsu and Fujian Provinces follow the same format.) On the title page verso is the publisher's statement: "Printed in deluxe woodblock, the month of October of the 25th year (1899) of the Guangxu reign." The Jiangsu coastal map was printed in the same year, and the Fujian map in April, the 28th year (1902) of the Guangxu reign. The heading in the first column of the text reads: "Illustrated Zhejiang coastal map," followed in the next column by the name of the compiler: "Compiled respectfully by Zhu Zhengyuan, designated department vice magistrate." The original work had neither prefaces nor postscripts, but the Zhejiang map contains 15 explanatory notes at the front and the table of contents, which clearly indicates that this was completed earlier than the other two, even though they follow the same format. The later maps contain a note, which reads: "For details, see the explanatory notes in the Zhejiang coastal map." All three volumes contain comprehensive content, written in the style of a modern maritime guide, providing details on the waterways of each province (including the depths of waters and conditions of sea transport), tides, sand reefs, islands, cities and towns, terrain, and variant names. In addition, a chart of islands is attached to each of the volumes. Included in the chart are names, distances, length and width, population, number of ships, and anchor grounds, and so forth. The work discusses the advantageous topography and defense installations along the southeastern coasts of China. The copy from which this presentation is drawn includes all three works on Zhejiang, Jiangsu, and Fujian, in six juan in three volumes. Even though the title contains the word "illustrated," for unknown reasons there are no maps. Shown here is the content for Jiangsu only.
- Zhu, Zhengyuan, active 19th and 20th century Author
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1899-10 to 1902-04]
- - China--Fujian Province
- - China--Jiangsu Province
- - 1899-10 to 1902-04
- - Bodies of water
- - Description and travel
- - Geography
- - Guidebooks
- - Waterways
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 2 volumes.
- - Original resource at: National Central Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Zhu, Zhengyuan, Active 19Th And 20Th Century Author. Jiangsu Fujian yan hai tu shui. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, -10 to 1902-04, 1899] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666543/.
APA citation style:
Zhu, Z. (1899) Jiangsu Fujian yan hai tu shui. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, -10 to 1902-04] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666543/.
MLA citation style:
Zhu, Zhengyuan, Active 19Th And 20Th Century Author. Jiangsu Fujian yan hai tu shui. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, -10 to 1902-04, 1899] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666543/>.