Book/Printed Material General Geography in Brief for the Whole World.
About this Item
- General Geography in Brief for the Whole World.
- Published in 1843 with the support of many private donors, General Geography in Brief for the Whole World is a reworking in Bulgarian of Samuel Goodrich's American textbook, Peter Parley's Method of Telling about Geography to Children, but from the Greek translation produced by American missionaries rather than the original English. Other Greek-language geography texts also inspired aspects of this work, notably William Channing Woodbridge's Rudiments of Geography (1835), which was translated into Greek by missionaries at about the same time as Goodrich's text. When American Protestant missionaries began working in the Ottoman Empire in the early 19th century, they focused initially as much on general as on religious education. Missionary-produced grammars, arithmetic texts, and geographies thus were commonplace in Bulgaria, which was then under Ottoman rule. This translation was completed by Konstantin Fotinov, a Bulgarian educator closely associated with the American missionaries, who founded a school in Smyrna (present-day Turkey) based on the Lancastrian teaching methods of the English education innovator Joseph Lancaster (1778--1838). Fotinov's translation was well received in Bulgaria, not only for its easy-to-read content, but also because it was the first illustrated geography book for children in Bulgarian. The publishing house of the Greek A. Damian, which produced the book, mainly issued works sponsored by missionaries.
- Fotinov, Konstantin Georgiev, circa 1790-1858 Translator.
- Goodrich, Samuel G. (Samuel Griswold), 1793-1860 Author.
Created / Published
- Smyrna : A. Damianova, 1843.
- - 1843
- - Children's books
- - Jesuits
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 236 pages : illustrations ; 17 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Central Library of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
- - Content in Bulgarian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Fotinov, Konstantin Georgiev, Circa Translator, and Samuel G Goodrich. General Geography in Brief for the Whole World. Smyrna: A. Damianova, 1843. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666553/.
APA citation style:
Fotinov, K. G. & Goodrich, S. G. (1843) General Geography in Brief for the Whole World. Smyrna: A. Damianova. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666553/.
MLA citation style:
Fotinov, Konstantin Georgiev, Circa Translator, and Samuel G Goodrich. General Geography in Brief for the Whole World. Smyrna: A. Damianova, 1843. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666553/>.