Book/Printed Material The Acts and the Epistles of the Apostles.
About this Item
- The Acts and the Epistles of the Apostles.
- The Acts and the Epistles of the Apostles, also known as the Apostle, is the first dated imprint published on the territory of present-day Ukraine. Written in Church Slavic, the liturgical language of the Orthodox Church in Russia, Ukraine, and other Slavic-speaking countries, it was printed in 1574 at the Saint Onuphrius Monastery in Lviv by Ivan Fyodorov (circa 1510-83). One of the fathers of printing in the East Slavic region, Fyodorov graduated from Jagiellonian University in Kraków, Poland, and later worked in Moscow, where he published liturgical works using movable type, the first books printed in Russia. He was driven from Moscow by scribes who feared competition from his innovation and fled to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, where he set up a press in Zabłudów (Zabludovo, in present-day Belarus). In 1572, he moved to Lviv. The Apostle was among the most widely used liturgical books of the Orthodox Church. The 1574 edition contains an autobiographical epilogue by Fyodorov in which he recounts the history of his printing houses in Moscow, Zabłudów, and Lviv. About 120 copies of this edition are known to exist, of which five are in the collections of the Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine.
Created / Published
- L'viv, Ukraine : Ivan Fyodorov, 1574.
- - Ukraine--L'viv Oblast--L'viv
- - 1574
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Liturgies
- - Orthodox Eastern Church
- - Printing--Ukraine
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 18 unnumbered sheet, 264 numbered sheets : illustrated.
- - Original resource at: V.I. Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine.
- - Content in Church Slavic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Acts and the Epistles of the Apostles. L'viv, Ukraine: Ivan Fyodorov, 1574. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666578/.
APA citation style:
(1574) The Acts and the Epistles of the Apostles. L'viv, Ukraine: Ivan Fyodorov. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666578/.
MLA citation style:
The Acts and the Epistles of the Apostles. L'viv, Ukraine: Ivan Fyodorov, 1574. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666578/>.