Book/Printed Material Ornaments of Domestic Industry: Ruthenian Peasant Metalwork.
About this Item
- Ornaments of Domestic Industry: Ruthenian Peasant Metalwork.
- Vzory promyslu domashnogo vyroby metalevi selian na Rusi (Ornaments of domestic industry: Ruthenian peasant metalwork) is one of a series of books published by the Industrial Museum in L'viv (present-day Ukraine), this one appearing in 1882. The explanatory text appears in Polish, Ruthenian (a predecessor of modern Ukrainian), German, and French, and it highlights the art and aesthetic taste shown in everyday objects. The book's focus is the Hutsuls, a people of the Carpathian Mountains, mainly in western and southwestern Ukraine, but also northern Romania and eastern Poland, who speak a Ruthenian dialect and adhere to the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox or Greek Catholic faith. Intricate craftsmanship is evident in their clothing, sculpture, architecture, woodwork, and metalwork (especially in brass). The illustrations show decorative metal items used in jewelry, clothing, households, and weapons. These include: hair ornaments; crosses worn on chains, as necklaces and as earrings; other earrings and rings; belts and belt buckles; pipes and pipe-cleaning implements; a typical long-handled axe with a small head; finely decorated sword and dagger handles; and engraving on guns.
- Muzeum Przemysłowe Miejskie (Lwów) Contributor.
Created / Published
- L'viv, Ukraine : Muzeum przemysłowe miejskie, 1882.
- - Poland
- - Romania
- - Ukraine
- - 1882
- - Decoration and ornament
- - Folk art
- - Hutsuls
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: Scientific Library of Lviv Polytechnic National University.
- - Content in German and French and Polish and Ukrainian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Muzeum Przemysłowe Miejskie Contributor. Ornaments of Domestic Industry: Ruthenian Peasant Metalwork. L'viv, Ukraine: Muzeum przemysłowe miejskie, 1882. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666580/.
APA citation style:
Muzeum Przemysłowe Miejskie Contributor. (1882) Ornaments of Domestic Industry: Ruthenian Peasant Metalwork. L'viv, Ukraine: Muzeum przemysłowe miejskie. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666580/.
MLA citation style:
Muzeum Przemysłowe Miejskie Contributor. Ornaments of Domestic Industry: Ruthenian Peasant Metalwork. L'viv, Ukraine: Muzeum przemysłowe miejskie, 1882. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666580/>.