Book/Printed Material Album of the Old City.
About this Item
- Album of the Old City.
- Al'bom starogo L'vova (Album of the old city), published in 1917, is a collection of images of the main historical monuments of L'viv (in present-day western Ukraine). The album contains pictures of the dominant places of worship, such as the Catholic Cathedral, the Armenian Cathedral, the Dominican Church, and the Benedictine Church. Illustrations show both details and scenes of L'viv's streets, built in the 16th--19th centuries. The architectural details include bas-reliefs, carved doorways, fine and amusing stone carving, and moldings. People are seen walking by the fountains in the marketplace with its attractive shops and houses. Streets shown include the rue des Arméniens, rue du Tribunal, and rue Czacki, with interior details of the Maison Sobiéski and the Maison Noire. Photographs taken at the City Museum show its fine rooms, with a portrait of Stanisław August (king of Poland 1764--95); other art, furniture, and porcelain; ceramic stoves to heat the rooms; and sculpture. The album conveys something of the spirit of the old city. The introductory text is in Russian, with captions to the photographs given in Russian and in French.
- Vereshchagin, V. A. (Vasiliĭ Andreevich), 1861-1931 Contributor.
Created / Published
- Sirius : [publisher not identified], 1917.
- - Ukraine--L'viv Oblast--L'viv
- - 1917
- - Architectural decorations and ornaments
- - Cathedrals
- - Churches
- - Cities and towns
- - Museums
- - Street scenes
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 116 pages : illustrations.
- - Original resource at: Yaroslav Mudryi National Library of Ukraine.
- - Content in French and Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vereshchagin, V. A. , Contributor. Album of the Old City. [Sirius: Publisher Not Identified, 1917] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666581/.
APA citation style:
Vereshchagin, V. A. (1917) Album of the Old City. [Sirius: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666581/.
MLA citation style:
Vereshchagin, V. A. , Contributor. Album of the Old City. [Sirius: Publisher Not Identified, 1917] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666581/>.