Book/Printed Material Teacher and Student. Conversation.
About this Item
- Teacher and Student. Conversation.
- This work presents the reflections of Velimir Khlebnikov (born Viktor Khlebnikov, 1885--1922) on the consistent patterns of numbers pertinent to the fates of countries and people. It is written in a form of a discourse between a teacher and a student, who discuss linguistic findings made by the student, the rise of cities in relation to distances between them, and the passage of time that governs historical events. The text includes mathematical formulae and tables. Khlebnikov was born in Astrakhan Province and lived most of his life in Kazan. He attended university in Kazan and later in Saint Petersburg but gave up academic pursuits to devote himself entirely to literature. In addition to his writing, Khlebnikov developed a life-long interest in numbers, mathematical tables, and calculations by which he tried to identify the laws governing the course of history and the fate of peoples. The late 19th--early 20th centuries became known as the Silver Age of Russian poetry, of which futurism, along with several other movements, was part. In 1912 a group of futurists that included Khlebnikov presented a manifesto, A Slap in the Face of Public Taste, which emphasized the need for poets to create a new language and to throw overboard from the "Ship of Modernity" Pushkin, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and other classic authors and to proclaim the "self-sufficient word" as the core of a new aesthetic. World War I and the Russian Revolution of 1917 energized Khlebnikov and influenced the content of his writing. However, his works did not conform to the standards set by the Soviet government and he fell into disfavor.
- Burliuk, Vladimir Davidovich, 1886-1917 Illustrator.
- Khlebnikov, Velimir Vladimirovich, 1885-1922 Author.
Created / Published
- Kherson : Parovaia tipografia preemnikov O.D. Khodushinoi, 1912.
- - Russian Federation
- - 1912
- - Futurism (Literary movement)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 15 pages.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Russia.
- - Content in Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Burliuk, Vladimir Davidovich, Illustrator, and Velimir Vladimirovich Khlebnikov. Teacher and Student. Conversation. Kherson: Parovaia tipografia preemnikov O.D. Khodushinoi, 1912. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666584/.
APA citation style:
Burliuk, V. D. & Khlebnikov, V. V. (1912) Teacher and Student. Conversation. Kherson: Parovaia tipografia preemnikov O.D. Khodushinoi. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666584/.
MLA citation style:
Burliuk, Vladimir Davidovich, Illustrator, and Velimir Vladimirovich Khlebnikov. Teacher and Student. Conversation. Kherson: Parovaia tipografia preemnikov O.D. Khodushinoi, 1912. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666584/>.