Book/Printed Material Art of Ancient Rus'-Ukraine.
About this Item
- Art of Ancient Rus'-Ukraine.
- This book is a short history of the art of Ancient Rus', the medieval polity centered on Kiev, which flourished from the 9th to the 13th centuries, and which formed the basis for much of later Russian and Ukrainian culture. Topics covered include the influences of the Varangians and of Eastern Orthodoxy, the importance of Christianity, wooden architecture, churches and monasteries in Kiev, art and architecture in the historic city of Chernigov, and the arts of enamel and icon painting. Particular attention is paid to Saint Sophia Cathedral in Kiev, including its architectural form, interior finish, paintings, and sculptures. The book includes illustrations and a short bibliography. The author, Fyodor I. Shmit (1877--circa 1942), was a noted Byzantinist, archaeologist, and educator. He was a professor at Kharkov University and a member of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences before being arrested and executed in the Stalinist purges of the 1930s.
- Shmit, F. I. (Fedor Ivanovich), 1877-1942 Author.
Created / Published
- Kharkov : Y. P. Fishgang Printing House, 1919.
- - Ukraine--Kiev
- - 800 to 1299
- - Architectural decorations and ornaments
- - Architecture, Byzantine
- - Cathedral of Saint Sophia (Kiev, Ukraine)
- - Cathedrals
- - Churches
- - Icons
- - Monasteries
- - Religious articles
- - Varangians
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 111 pages : illustrations and bibliography.
- - Original resource at: Yaroslav Mudryi National Library of Ukraine.
- - Content in Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Shmit, F. I. , Author. Art of Ancient Rus'-Ukraine. Kharkov: Y. P. Fishgang Printing House, 1919. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666589/.
APA citation style:
Shmit, F. I. (1919) Art of Ancient Rus'-Ukraine. Kharkov: Y. P. Fishgang Printing House. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666589/.
MLA citation style:
Shmit, F. I. , Author. Art of Ancient Rus'-Ukraine. Kharkov: Y. P. Fishgang Printing House, 1919. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666589/>.