Book/Printed Material Kiev Caves and the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra.
About this Item
- Kiev Caves and the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra.
- This book, published in Kiev in 1864, is a history and description of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, also called the Monastery of the Kiev Caves (pechera means cave; lavra indicates a monastery of status), a large complex founded in 1051 by a monk named Anthony in caves dug out of the hillside. The monastery soon became the center of Christianity in Russia and played an important part in local cultural development, housing the first printing press in Kiev and famous chroniclers, writers, physicians, scientists, and artists. Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is the most important national Ukrainian shrine and a place of pilgrimage for the Slavic peoples in general. The book discusses the origins of monasticism in Kiev, recounts the construction of the first cave monasteries, and describes the monastic life. The relics of the saints and their locations are covered in detail. Included in the book are illustrations of monastery buildings and plans of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra complex.
Created / Published
- Kiev : Sementovskii Printing House, 1864.
- - Ukraine--Kiev
- - 1051 to 1864
- - Caves
- - Kievo-Pecherskaya Monastery
- - Monasteries
- - Monastic and religious life
- - Religious articles
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 85 pages : illustrations.
- - Original resource at: Yaroslav Mudryi National Library of Ukraine.
- - Content in Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kiev Caves and the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. Kiev: Sementovskii Printing House, 1864. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666590/.
APA citation style:
(1864) Kiev Caves and the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. Kiev: Sementovskii Printing House. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666590/.
MLA citation style:
Kiev Caves and the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. Kiev: Sementovskii Printing House, 1864. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666590/>.