Book/Printed Material Monuments of Ukrainian Art of the 18th Century.
About this Item
- Monuments of Ukrainian Art of the 18th Century.
- This booklet is by Nikolai Makarenko, a specialist in architecture, art history, and archaeology and later director of the Kiev Museum of Arts. He begins by reflecting on the beneficial effects of Cossack culture on southern Russia and its significant impact on Ukrainian culture. He praises 17th- and 18th-century style and describes Pokrovskaia Church as an example of beautiful and pure architecture. The church was built in 1764 by Pyotr Kalishevski in Romny, Poltavskaia Province, and later moved to the city of Poltava. A new church was built in Romny, which the author finds unappealing and distasteful. The old church had a simple and pure design, and its beautiful cupolas could be seen from afar. A plan and description of the church are provided, and the booklet is illustrated with drawings of its artifacts and photographs of the church. Makarenko describes some details of the church interior, including wooden sculptures of Zachariah and John the Baptist.
- Makarenko, Nikolai Author.
Created / Published
- Saint Petersburg, Russia : Governor's Office, 1908.
- - Ukraine
- - 1600 to 1799
- - Architectural decorations and ornaments
- - Cathedrals
- - Churches
- - Religious articles
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 9 pages : illustrations.
- - Original resource at: Yaroslav Mudryi National Library of Ukraine.
- - Content in Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Makarenko, Nikolai Author. Monuments of Ukrainian Art of the 18th Century. Saint Petersburg, Russia: Governor's Office, 1908. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666595/.
APA citation style:
Makarenko, N. A. (1908) Monuments of Ukrainian Art of the 18th Century. Saint Petersburg, Russia: Governor's Office. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666595/.
MLA citation style:
Makarenko, Nikolai Author. Monuments of Ukrainian Art of the 18th Century. Saint Petersburg, Russia: Governor's Office, 1908. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666595/>.