Book/Printed Material Guide to Kiev and Its Environs, Including an Address Section, Map and Phototype Views of Kiev.
About this Item
- Guide to Kiev and Its Environs, Including an Address Section, Map and Phototype Views of Kiev.
- This 1890 guidebook provides comprehensive information for visitors to Kiev. It includes a history of the city and details of places of interest, such as Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, the cathedrals and other churches, historical monuments, public gardens and wooded areas, public and administrative buildings, and bridges over the Dnieper River. Included is useful information for travelers, such as timetables for trains, steamships, and other passenger transport and a directory for hotels, restaurants, doctors, banks, stores, baths, libraries, clubs, and city and church authorities. The guide anticipates by 24 years Baedeker's guide to Russia and is much more detailed. Also included are maps showing key attractions and local streets. The guide was published at the time when Kiev was becoming a significant industrial center, which is reflected in the directory and advertising section. Pages of advertisements are devoted to various agricultural machines, equipment for steam and water mills, pipes, steel for building railroads and bridges, steam engines and boilers, and other industrial products. More personal items on offer include fabrics, bicycles, hats, wine, fruit trees, furniture, and teas.
- Bublik, V. D. (Vasilīĭ Dmitrīevich) Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : S.V. Kul'zhenko, 1890.
- - Ukraine--Kiev
- - 1890
- - Cathedrals
- - Churches
- - Guidebooks
- - Kievo-Pecherskaya Monastery
- - Maps
- - Monuments and memorials
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 354 pages : tables, illustrations, map.
- - Original resource at: Yaroslav Mudryi National Library of Ukraine.
- - Content in Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bublik, V. D. Author. Guide to Kiev and Its Environs, Including an Address Section, Map and Phototype Views of Kiev. [place of publication not identified: S.V. Kul'zhenko, 1890] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666598/.
APA citation style:
Bublik, V. D. A. (1890) Guide to Kiev and Its Environs, Including an Address Section, Map and Phototype Views of Kiev. [place of publication not identified: S.V. Kul'zhenko] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666598/.
MLA citation style:
Bublik, V. D. Author. Guide to Kiev and Its Environs, Including an Address Section, Map and Phototype Views of Kiev. [place of publication not identified: S.V. Kul'zhenko, 1890] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666598/>.