Book/Printed Material The Basics of Christianity or a Brief Sacred History, and a Short Catechism.
About this Item
- The Basics of Christianity or a Brief Sacred History, and a Short Catechism.
- This book is a Bulgarian translation of a work by Filaret, Metropolitan of Moscow, which during the 19th and 20th centuries was one of the officially approved textbooks for use in Bulgarian schools. The work was translated into many languages. Filaret was a reformer of Russian religious education who was instrumental in bringing about a new translation of the Bible into Russian and wrote a number of landmark religious texts. The book includes three separate works: a brief church history (pages 3-62); a brief catechism (pages 63-86); and an addition to the catechism called "Christian exhortation for the soldiers" (pages 87-93). First published in Russian in Saint Petersburg in 1828, this textbook by Filaret relied on his catechism as its foundation. The edition presented here is the first Bulgarian translation, which was thought to be done by Naiden Gerov (1823-1900), a prominent author and intellectual figure of the time, although the name of the translator is not given in the book. Gerov was the son of a teacher and a student of Neofit Rilski (1793-1881), a notable religious scholar, teacher, and artist who was a major figure in the Bulgarian National Revival. Gerov was active throughout his life in Bulgarian intellectual life, with his writing, and by promoting education and Bulgarian religious independence. His most significant work was a five-volume dictionary of Bulgarian that was first published in 1895. Gerov is also the father of Bulgarian travel writing. A second Bulgarian edition of Gerov's translation of Filaret's textbook appeared in 1851, and a third, by a different translator, Nikola Kasapski, in 1852. On the back of the title page is an announcement about 14 schools that were going to receive ten copies each of the edition from the Gabrovo School.
- Filaret, Metropolitan of Moscow, 1782-1867 Author.
- Gérov, Naïden, 1823-1900 Translator.
Created / Published
- Odessa : City Typographers, 1843.
- - Bulgaria
- - 1843
- - Orthodox Eastern Church
- - Orthodox Eastern Church -- Catechisms
- - Religious education
- - Russian Orthodox Church
- - Textbooks
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 93 pages ; 17 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Central Library of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
- - Content in Bulgarian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Filaret, Metropolitan Of Moscow, Author, and Naïden Gérov. The Basics of Christianity or a Brief Sacred History, and a Short Catechism. Odessa: City Typographers, 1843. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666622/.
APA citation style:
Filaret, M. O. M. & Gérov, N. (1843) The Basics of Christianity or a Brief Sacred History, and a Short Catechism. Odessa: City Typographers. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666622/.
MLA citation style:
Filaret, Metropolitan Of Moscow, Author, and Naïden Gérov. The Basics of Christianity or a Brief Sacred History, and a Short Catechism. Odessa: City Typographers, 1843. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666622/>.