Book/Printed Material Results of the Revolutionary Movement in Russia during a Period of 40 Years (1862-1902).
About this Item
- Results of the Revolutionary Movement in Russia during a Period of 40 Years (1862-1902).
- This book, published in Geneva in 1903, is number 24 in a series of 43 titles produced in 1902-4 by the social democratic organization Zhizn' (Life) as "The Library of the Russian Proletariat." The book is a compilation of documents, including programs, manifestoes, and articles, related to the Russian revolutionary movement in 1862-1902. Among the documents in the book are the declaration Molodaia Rossiia (Young Russia) published in 1862; articles from Zemlia i Volia (Land and liberty), the organ of the Narodnik (Populist) society that was published in 1878-79; and articles from Narodnoe delo (The people's cause), a revolutionary journal published in 1868-70. Included are essays by such important revolutionary thinkers as Mikhail A. Bakunin (1814-76) and Petr A. Kropotkin (1842-1921). The book also contains the text of a letter from Narodnaia Volia (The people's will) to Tsar Alexander III. This organization was responsible for assassinating Alexander's father, Tsar Alexander II, in Saint Petersburg on March 1, 1881. The letter, dated March 10, 1881, was an ultimatum from the Narodnaia Volia executive committee to Alexander III. The members asked the tsar to engage in an open discussion of the political future of Russia and introduce comprehensive reforms in the country, in exchange for which they agreed to suspend their militant activity and devote themselves to the welfare of the people. The volume also includes a draft of the program of the Russian Social Democrats, a manifesto of the Russian Social Democratic Labor Party (RSDLP), and decisions of the latter's first congress, held in March 1898. The RSDLP later split into Menshevik (minority) and Bolshevik (majority) factions; the latter eventually became the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. The book is preserved in the State Public Historical Library of Russia.
- Bakunin, Mikhail Aleksandrovich, 1814-1876 Contributor.
- Kropotkin, Petr Alekseevich, kni︠a︡zʹ, 1842-1921 Contributor.
Created / Published
- Geneva : G. A. Kuklin, 1903.
- - Russian Federation
- - 1862 to 1902
- - Alexander III, Emperor of Russia, 1845-1894
- - Essays
- - Letters
- - Narodnai︠a︡ voli︠a︡ (Political party : Russia)
- - Politics and government
- - Populism
- - Revolutionaries
- - Revolutions
- - Socialism
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: Boris Yeltsin Presidential Library.
- - Content in Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bakunin, Mikhail Aleksandrovich, Contributor, and Petr Alekseevich Kropotkin. Results of the Revolutionary Movement in Russia during a Period of 40 Years -1902. Geneva: G. A. Kuklin, 1903. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666630/.
APA citation style:
Bakunin, M. A. & Kropotkin, P. A. (1903) Results of the Revolutionary Movement in Russia during a Period of 40 Years -1902. Geneva: G. A. Kuklin. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666630/.
MLA citation style:
Bakunin, Mikhail Aleksandrovich, Contributor, and Petr Alekseevich Kropotkin. Results of the Revolutionary Movement in Russia during a Period of 40 Years -1902. Geneva: G. A. Kuklin, 1903. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666630/>.