Book/Printed Material Atlas of the Physical and Political History of Chile [Plates, Volume 1]. Atlas de la historia física y política de Chile [Láminas, Volumen 1]
About this Item
- Atlas of the Physical and Political History of Chile [Plates, Volume 1].
- Other Title
- Atlas de la historia física y política de Chile [Láminas, Volumen 1]
- Claudio Gay was born in Provence, southern France, in 1800. In childhood he developed a deep fascination with the natural sciences. In his youth, he traveled extensively in parts of Europe under the direction of the Italian botanist Juan Bautista Balbis, visiting the French Alps, northern Italy, Greece, Asia Minor, and several Mediterranean islands. In 1828 the adventurer Pedro Chapuis invited him to come to Chile to teach geography. Gay accepted the offer, and lived in Chile until 1842, working as a teacher and participating in scientific expeditions. Under a contract with the Chilean government, he embarked on a 3 1/2-year expedition to build a registry of the country's natural resources. Later he agreed to write a political history of Chile. The success of this work, which he completed in 1841, earned him honorary citizenship. Returning to France, Gay published the first volume of his Atlas de la historia fisica y politica de Chile in 1842. By 1871, this monumental work had grown to 30 volumes, covering history (eight volumes), botany (eight volumes), zoology (eight volumes), agriculture (two volumes), historic documents (two volumes), and two volumes of maps and illustrations. Gay's work earned him fame as a versatile scientist and a talented artist whose etchings captured images of native Indians, landscapes, popular characters, and previously unknown botanical species.
- Contributor Names
- Gay, Claudio, 1800-1873 Author.
- Created / Published
- Paris : E. Thunot, 1854.
- Subject Headings
- - Chile
- - 1800 to 1899
- - Natural history
- - Political science
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 186 pages: illustrated.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Chile.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- compressed data
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gay, Claudio, Author. Atlas of the Physical and Political History of Chile Plates, Volume 1. Paris: E. Thunot, 1854. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666719/.
APA citation style:
Gay, C. (1854) Atlas of the Physical and Political History of Chile Plates, Volume 1. Paris: E. Thunot. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666719/.
MLA citation style:
Gay, Claudio, Author. Atlas of the Physical and Political History of Chile Plates, Volume 1. Paris: E. Thunot, 1854. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666719/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Book/Printed MaterialAtlas of the Physical and Political History of Chile [Plates, Volume 2].
Atlas de la historia física y política de Chile [Láminas, Volumen 2] Claudio Gay was born in Provence, southern France, in 1800. In childhood he developed a deep fascination with the natural sciences. In his youth, he traveled extensively in parts of Europe under...
- Contributor: Gay, Claudio
- Date: 1854
Book/Printed MaterialEight-Point Program for a New Government. This manuscript is the handwritten draft of proposals formulated by Sakamoto Ryōma (1836-67) and Gotō Shōjirō (1838-97), pro-imperial activists from the Tosa Domain (now Kochi prefecture) in western Japan, in 1867. In...
- Contributor: Sakamoto, Ryōma - Gotō, Shōjirō
- Date: 1867
Book/Printed MaterialReconciling Mercy with Justice. This manuscript is a notebook containing the draft of a sermon or essay by Coptic thinker and teacher Iryan Moftah (1826--86) on the theme of the reconciliation of justice with mercy. The...
- Contributor: Moftah, Iryan
- Date: 1800
Book/Printed MaterialMassage Treatise. Traditional Thai medicine is a holistic discipline involving extensive use of indigenous herbal and massage-pressure treatments combined with aspects of spirituality and mental wellbeing. Having been influenced by Indian and Chinese concepts...
- Date: 1800
Book/Printed MaterialMorning Glory Flowers. This pictorial book from 1854 is known as one of the best books on morning glories published in Japan. It reflects the morning glory mania that began in 1847 and that was...
- Contributor: Hattori, Sessai, 1807 - Yokoyama, Masana
- Date: 1854