Book/Printed Material Conditions as Created by their Lords Burgomasters of Amsterdam. Conditien die door de heeren burgemeesteren der Stadt Amsterdam
About this Item
- Conditions as Created by their Lords Burgomasters of Amsterdam.
- Conditien die door de heeren burgemeesteren der Stadt Amsterdam
- This pamphlet, published in Amsterdam in 1656, contains information about the patroonships offered by the West India Company to settlers in the Dutch colony of New Netherland, and in particular about the policies of the city of Amsterdam toward overseas colonization under the terms of the agreement between the city and the West India Company. Intended to help populate the colony, the patroonships were large grants of land made to Dutch investors who agreed to establish a colony of "fifty souls, upwards of fifteen years old." The pamphlet was, in the form of an appendix, a part of the book by Adriaen van der Donck, Beschryvinge Van Nieuw-Nederlant (Description of New Netherland), published in 1655, but was produced by a different printer.
Created / Published
- Madrid, Spain : Jan Banning, 1656.
- - United States of America--Connecticut
- - United States of America--Delaware
- - United States of America--New Jersey
- - United States of America--New York
- - 1656
- - Colonial America
- - Land settlement
- - Netherlands--Colonies
- - New Netherland
- - West-Indische Compagnie (Netherlands)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Pamphlet, printed paper, 14.5 x 90 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of the Netherlands.
- - Content in Dutch.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Atlantic World
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Conditions as Created by their Lords Burgomasters of Amsterdam. Madrid, Spain: Jan Banning, 1656. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666728/.
APA citation style:
(1656) Conditions as Created by their Lords Burgomasters of Amsterdam. Madrid, Spain: Jan Banning. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666728/.
MLA citation style:
Conditions as Created by their Lords Burgomasters of Amsterdam. Madrid, Spain: Jan Banning, 1656. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666728/>.