Book/Printed Material Prosperity of the West India Company. Wel-vaert van de West-Indische Compagnie
About this Item
- Prosperity of the West India Company.
- Wel-vaert van de West-Indische Compagnie
- This pamphlet of 1642 contains a number of proposals to increase the profits of the Dutch West India Company for the benefit of its shareholders. The company was established in 1621 under a charter granted by the States-General, the governing body of the United Provinces of the Netherlands. Similar to the Dutch East India Company, which was founded in 1602 to promote trade with Asia, the West India Company was granted a 24-year monopoly on all trade by Dutch merchants and inhabitants in a region that included the Americas and West Africa. The Dutch maintained a colony on the northeast coast of Brazil between 1624 and 1654, and the proposals in the pamphlet mainly relate to Brazil and the sugar trade, as well as to the financing of the West India Company's military force and some issues having to do with slavery. Many of the pages show, on the right-hand side, detailed sums of costs and profits, calculated in gulden, the currency of the day. The pamphlet is signed "P. Le Candele," in the city of Middelburg, Province of Zeeland.
- Candele, P. le Author.
Created / Published
- Madrid, Spain : [publisher not identified], 1642.
- - Brazil
- - 1642
- - Netherlands--Colonies
- - Slavery
- - Sugar trade
- - West-Indische Compagnie (Netherlands)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Pamphlet, printed paper, 14.5 x 19.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of the Netherlands.
- - Content in Dutch.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Atlantic World
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Candele, P. Le Author. Prosperity of the West India Company. [Madrid, Spain: publisher not identified, 1642] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666729/.
APA citation style:
Candele, P. L. A. (1642) Prosperity of the West India Company. [Madrid, Spain: publisher not identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666729/.
MLA citation style:
Candele, P. Le Author. Prosperity of the West India Company. [Madrid, Spain: publisher not identified, 1642] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666729/>.