Book/Printed Material Gutenberg Bible. Biblia
About this Item
- Gutenberg Bible.
- Johann Gutenberg was born in Mainz, Germany, around 1400, the son of an aristocratic family with ties to the local metalworking industry. He lived in Strasbourg (in present-day France) for a time, where he carried out experiments with moveable metallic type made from a mold. By the mid-1450s, he had perfected a system of printing with moveable type that he used to create what became the world's most famous book, the Latin translation of the Bible (Vulgate), generally known as the Gutenberg Bible. Scholars have thoroughly researched all aspects of Gutenberg's work: the elaborate typeface with its 290 different characters derived from a Gothic missal script, the way he divided the text in the typesetting process, and the paper he used in the printing. Yet certain fundamental matters about the Gutenberg Bible are unknown or remain matters of dispute. The date on which the printing was completed is based solely on the notation "1455" on the binding of the Paris paper copy. It is believed that 180 copies of the Bible were printed, but this information is based on a single letter of Enea Silvio Piccolomini (the future Pope Pius II), who viewed samples of Gutenberg's work in Frankfurt in 1455. Gutenberg originally intended to print in red the headings of the books of the Bible, but he abandoned this approach, using instead a separately printed table as a pattern for entering these lines by hand. Of the 49 extant, more-or-less complete copies of the Gutenberg Bible (12 on vellum, 37 on paper), this copy from the Bavarian State Library is one of only two (along with one copy in the Austrian National Library) in which this table is found as a vestige of the production process.
- Gutenberg, Johann, 1397?-1468 Creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1454 to 1456]
- - Germany
- - 1454 to 1456
- - Bible
- - Gutenberg Bible
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Volume 1: Genesis-Psalms; Volume 2: Proverbs-Revelation; Volume 3: Tabula rubricarum|BSB shelfmark: 2 Inc.s.a. 197-1, 2 Inc.s.a. 197-2, 2 Inc.s.a. 197-3"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: Volume 1: 324 pages [including presumed Volume 3]; Volume 2: 319 pages.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gutenberg, Johann, 1397?-1468 Creator. Gutenberg Bible. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1456, 1454] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666734/.
APA citation style:
Gutenberg, J. (1454) Gutenberg Bible. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1456] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666734/.
MLA citation style:
Gutenberg, Johann, 1397?-1468 Creator. Gutenberg Bible. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1456, 1454] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666734/>.