Book/Printed Material Brief Geographical Primer, with an Additional Text on Bosnia: for Primary Schools. Kratka zemljopisna početnica s dodatkom o Bosni : za nižje učione
About this Item
- Brief Geographical Primer, with an Additional Text on Bosnia: for Primary Schools.
- Kratka zemljopisna početnica s dodatkom o Bosni : za nižje učione
- The first printing house in Bosnia and Herzegovina was founded in 1519 by Božidar Goraždanin, in the city of Goražde, in eastern Bosnia. Two years later, in 1521, the establishment closed and was moved to Romania. Subsequently, a small number of books written in Bosnia and Herzegovina were sent outside the country to be printed, in Venice, Vienna, Rome, and elsewhere, but books were not produced in the country. In the second half of the 19th century, there was a revival of interest in printing and publishing in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The first printing house started work in 1866, in Sarajevo, and was called Sopronova pečatnja (Sopron's Publishing House), after its founder, Sopron Ignjat (1825--94), a journalist and printer-publisher from Novi Sad. This later became Vilajetska štamparija (Vilayet Printing House). Books were printed in the Latin, Cyrillic, Hebrew, and Arabic scripts. Following the occupation of Bosnia and Herzegovina by Austria-Hungary in 1878, Vilajetska štamparija continued to produce books, but it changed its name to Zemaljska štamparija (National Printing House). The National and University Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina preserves a valuable collection of the first school books printed at Vilajetska štamparija. Shown here is one of the items from this collection, Kratka zemljopisna početnica s dodatkom o Bosni: za niže učione (Brief geographical primer, with an additional text on Bosnia: for primary schools), published in 1869.
- Franjković, Franjo Žaverija Editor.
Created / Published
- Sarajevo : Vilayet Printing House, 1869.
- - Bosnia and Herzegovina
- - 1869
- - Textbooks
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 43 page, with tables ; 21 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National and University Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- - Content in Bosnian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Franjković, Franjo Žaverija Editor. Brief Geographical Primer, with an Additional Text on Bosnia: for Primary Schools. Sarajevo: Vilayet Printing House, 1869. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666775/.
APA citation style:
Franjković, F. Ž. E. (1869) Brief Geographical Primer, with an Additional Text on Bosnia: for Primary Schools. Sarajevo: Vilayet Printing House. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666775/.
MLA citation style:
Franjković, Franjo Žaverija Editor. Brief Geographical Primer, with an Additional Text on Bosnia: for Primary Schools. Sarajevo: Vilayet Printing House, 1869. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666775/>.