Book/Printed Material In Uganda for Christ: The Life Story of the Rev. John Samuel Callis B.A., of the Church Missionary Society.
About this Item
- In Uganda for Christ: The Life Story of the Rev. John Samuel Callis B.A., of the Church Missionary Society.
- In Uganda for Christ is a biography of the Reverend John Samuel Callis (1870--97), an early Christian missionary to Uganda. Callis was born in England and graduated from Saint Catharine's College, Cambridge. Moved by the death of his eldest sister, he decided to dedicate his life to the church. After studying theology and working among the poor in London, he was ordained an Anglican priest on May 28, 1893. He served three years as curate outside London and then offered himself to the Church Missionary Society for the Uganda Mission. He departed for Africa on September 3, 1896, and arrived in Frere Town (near present-day Mombasa, Kenya) on October 1. After an 11-week journey inland, Callis arrived at Mengo, near Kampala. He went on to serve in Toro, some 322 kilometers further inland, at that time the Church Missionary Society's most distant mission from the coast. The book recounts Callis's work and his friendship with David (Daudi) Kasagama of Toro, who reigned as Omukama (king) Kyebambe VI from 1891 until his death in 1928, and who became a Christian in March 1896. After only three months in Uganda, however, Callis contracted a fever and died on April 24, 1897. The book includes photographs and information about the Batoro, the Bantu-speaking people of Toro, one of four traditional kingdoms located in the territory of present-day Uganda.
- Pierpoint, Richard Deare Author.
Created / Published
- London : Hodder & Stoughton, 1898.
- - Uganda
- - 1870 to 1897
- - Callis, John Samuel, 1870-1897
- - Church Missionary Society
- - Missionaries
- - Tooro (African people)
- - Toro (Uganda)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From the Ndejje University Library. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: vii, 196 pages : illustrations ; 20 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Pierpoint, Richard Deare Author. In Uganda for Christ: The Life Story of the Rev. John Samuel Callis B.A., of the Church Missionary Society. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1898. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666788/.
APA citation style:
Pierpoint, R. D. A. (1898) In Uganda for Christ: The Life Story of the Rev. John Samuel Callis B.A., of the Church Missionary Society. London: Hodder & Stoughton. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666788/.
MLA citation style:
Pierpoint, Richard Deare Author. In Uganda for Christ: The Life Story of the Rev. John Samuel Callis B.A., of the Church Missionary Society. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1898. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666788/>.