Book/Printed Material Rewards for Obedience, Punishment for Disobedience. Premios de la obediencia, castigos de la inobediencia
About this Item
- Rewards for Obedience, Punishment for Disobedience.
- Premios de la obediencia, castigos de la inobediencia
- Premios de la obediencia, castigos de la inobediencia (Rewards for obedience, punishment for disobedience) by Raymundo Azero (1739--94) is one of the first books printed in New Granada (the Spanish viceroyalty that comprised all or parts of present-day Colombia, Ecuador, Panama, and Venezuela). Azero studied at the College of San Buenaventura in Santa Fe de Bogotá and was ordained a Franciscan priest. He later served as professor of theology at the college and as its director. He was also a missionary and local administrator. Azero's missionary experience unfolded against the background of the pacification campaigns ordered by Archbishop Antonio Caballero y Góngora following the Comunero Revolt of 1781. This insurrection against the Spanish authorities, which began in reaction to the heavy taxes imposed by King Charles III, gave expression to new ideas of freedom and self-government that later would inspire the 19th-century South American wars of independence against Spanish colonial rule. Premios de la obediencia, castigos de la inobediencia is a doctrinal exhortation, in Spanish and Latin, arguing for submission to the Spanish crown. It was presented as a sermon, preached by Azero in the main square of the capital on February 1, 1782, after the execution of the Comunero leaders. Azero's message was intended to bolster the established public order and subordination to the monarch; obedient subjects would be generously rewarded and wrongdoers severely punished for their transgressions. His text was widely disseminated and appeared in print barely two months after the executions.
- Azero, Raymundo, 1739--1794 Author.
Created / Published
- Santa Fé de Bogotá : D. Antonio Espinosa de los Monteros, 1782.
- - Spain
- - Colombia
- - 1782
- - Colombia--History--Insurrection of the Comuneros, 1781
- - Missionaries
- - Politics and government
- - Sermons, Spanish
- - Spain--Colonies
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 54 pages ; 19 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Colombia.
- - Content in Latin and Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Azero, Raymundo, 1739. Rewards for Obedience, Punishment for Disobedience. Santa Fé de Bogotá: D. Antonio Espinosa de los Monteros, 1782. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666807/.
APA citation style:
Azero, R. (1782) Rewards for Obedience, Punishment for Disobedience. Santa Fé de Bogotá: D. Antonio Espinosa de los Monteros. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666807/.
MLA citation style:
Azero, Raymundo, 1739. Rewards for Obedience, Punishment for Disobedience. Santa Fé de Bogotá: D. Antonio Espinosa de los Monteros, 1782. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666807/>.