Book/Printed Material An Address in Memory of King Edward VII, May 20, 1910.
About this Item
- An Address in Memory of King Edward VII, May 20, 1910.
- This document is an address delivered by Alfred R. Tucker (1849--1914), bishop of Uganda, in the Cathedral Church of Saint Paul, Mengo, Uganda, on May 20, 1910, on the occasion of the service in memory of King Edward VII, who had died on May 6. Edward was born in 1841, and became king of Great Britain and Ireland in 1901, following the death of his mother, Queen Victoria. Tucker characterized Edward as "a Sovereign whose name I venture to think will go down to posterity as 'Edward the Peacemaker'." Edward was greatly interested in foreign affairs and, in the fateful years before World War I, sought to solidify Britain's ties with France and Russia as well as to dampen rising tensions with the German and Austro-Hungarian empires. The address is from a bound compilation of ten documents relating to the early history of the Anglican Church in Uganda in the library of Uganda Christian University at Mukono, near Kampala. The university was founded in 1997 by the Anglican Church of Uganda and incorporates Bishop Tucker Theological College, founded in 1913.
- Tucker, Alfred Robert, 1849-1914 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : Printed by the Uganda Company, Limited, 1910-05-20.
- - Uganda
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- - 1901 to 1910
- - Church of England--Uganda
- - Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1841-1910
- - Kings and rulers
- - Speeches
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From the Uganda Christian University. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Early History of the Anglican Church in Uganda
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Tucker, Alfred Robert, Author. An Address in Memory of King Edward VII. [place of publication not identified: Printed by the Uganda Company, Limited, -05-20, 1910] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666809/.
APA citation style:
Tucker, A. R. (1910) An Address in Memory of King Edward VII. [place of publication not identified: Printed by the Uganda Company, Limited, -05-20] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666809/.
MLA citation style:
Tucker, Alfred Robert, Author. An Address in Memory of King Edward VII. [place of publication not identified: Printed by the Uganda Company, Limited, -05-20, 1910] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666809/>.