Book/Printed Material Book of the Holy Gospel of Our Lord and God Jesus Christ.
About this Item
- Book of the Holy Gospel of Our Lord and God Jesus Christ.
- The first printing of the Syriac New Testament appeared thanks to the patronage of Ferdinand I, to whom a long preface is dedicated to begin the book. Johann Albrecht Widmanstetter (1506-1557) and Moses of Mardin, on whose handwriting the Syriac type for the book was based, were the forces behind the work. This Syriac type was produced by Kaspar Kraft under the direction of the French Orientalist Guillaume Postel (1510-1581). This edition of the New Testament has James, 1 Peter, and 1 John, but not the other General Epistles or Revelation. Several woodcuts with Hapsburg motifs and Syriac and Latin inscriptions ornament the book, and facing the beginning of the Gospel of John is a unique woodcut of the crucifixion and the Kabbalistic Sephirot. The book had a liturgical aim, as is reflected in the table in Syriac and Latin of lectionary readings that concludes the work.
- Kraft, Kaspar, died 1556 Contributor.
- Moses, Mardenus Creator.
- Postel, Guillaume, 1510-1581 Contributor.
- Widmanstetter, Johann Albrecht, 1506?-1557 Creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : Michael Zimmermann, 1555.
- - Austria--Vienna
- - 1555
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Liturgies
- - Syriac language
- - Woodcuts
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 330 leaves : illustrations ; 21 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Hill Museum & Manuscript Library.
- - Content in Latin and Syriac.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Arca Artium Rare Books
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kraft, Kaspar, Died 1556 Contributor, Mardenus Creator Moses, Guillaume Postel, and Johann Albrecht Widmanstetter. Book of the Holy Gospel of Our Lord and God Jesus Christ. [place of publication not identified: Michael Zimmermann, 1555] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666826/.
APA citation style:
Kraft, K., Moses, M. C., Postel, G. & Widmanstetter, J. A. (1555) Book of the Holy Gospel of Our Lord and God Jesus Christ. [place of publication not identified: Michael Zimmermann] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666826/.
MLA citation style:
Kraft, Kaspar, Died 1556 Contributor, et al. Book of the Holy Gospel of Our Lord and God Jesus Christ. [place of publication not identified: Michael Zimmermann, 1555] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666826/>.