Book/Printed Material Planting in Uganda. Coffee-Para Rubber-Cocoa.
About this Item
- Planting in Uganda. Coffee-Para Rubber-Cocoa.
- Planting in Uganda. Coffee-Para Rubber-Cocoa is a comprehensive analysis of plantation agriculture in early 20th-century Uganda, written by two senior managers of Ugandan companies. As stated in the preface, it was intended to assist white planters who were attracted to Uganda by the fertile soils and favorable climate but who, in many cases, had no knowledge of agricultural conditions in the country. It deals with three main products-coffee, Para rubber (today usually simply referred to as rubber), and cocoa-and focuses on two provinces, Buganda and Bugosa, where plantation agriculture was most extensively developed. Chapters are devoted to the physical features of the country; the history of products in Uganda; yields and results; the probable life of trees and how to prolong it; choice of land for plantations; nurseries; laying out a plantation; clearing and planting; weeds and weeding; factories and machinery; collection and preparation of coffee; collection and preparation of Para rubber; collection and preparation of cocoa; estate management; costs of establishing plantations and of preparing products; insect pests; and fungoid diseases. Tables provide a wealth of information on rainfall, yields, prices, and the recommended number of trees to be planted per acre and the distances between trees. Illustrations depict the coffee, Para rubber, and cocoa plants, common weeds, and methods for tapping rubber.
- Brown, Ernest Author.
- Dunstan, Wyndham R. (Wyndham Rowland), 1861-1949 Contributor.
- Hunter, H. H. Author.
- Massee, George, 1850-1917 Contributor.
Created / Published
- London : Longmans, Green & Company, 1913.
- - Uganda
- - 1913
- - Cocoa
- - Coffee
- - Coffee plantations
- - Rubber
- - Rubber industry
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From Ndejje University Library. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from Carnegie Corporation of New York"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: xvi, 176 pages : frontispiece, illustrations, plates, 2 folded maps, folded tables ; 23 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Brown, Ernest Author, Wyndham R Dunstan, H. H. Author Hunter, and George Massee. Planting in Uganda. Coffee-Para Rubber-Cocoa. London: Longmans, Green & Company, 1913. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666840/.
APA citation style:
Brown, E. A., Dunstan, W. R., Hunter, H. H. A. & Massee, G. (1913) Planting in Uganda. Coffee-Para Rubber-Cocoa. London: Longmans, Green & Company. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666840/.
MLA citation style:
Brown, Ernest Author, et al. Planting in Uganda. Coffee-Para Rubber-Cocoa. London: Longmans, Green & Company, 1913. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666840/>.