Book/Printed Material Uganda's Katikiro in England.
About this Item
- Uganda's Katikiro in England.
- Uganda's Katikiro in England is the official account of the visit of the katikiro (prime minister) of Buganda, Apolo Kagwa (circa 1864--1927), in 1902 to participate in the coronation of King Edward VII, who ascended to the British throne following the death of his mother, Queen Victoria, in early 1901. The grandson of a Ugandan chief, Apolo served as a page in the court of King Mutesa I of Buganda (reigned, 1856--84) and became a Christian at a young age. He rose to become chief storekeeper and later prime minister to King Mwanga II (ruled 1884--88 and 1889--97), the son and successor of Mutesa I. Written in Luganda by Ham Mukasa, secretary to Apolo, and translated by the Reverend Ernest Millar, an English missionary who served as the katikiro's interpreter during his visit, the book recounts the trip overland from Kampala to Mombasa, Kenya, the voyage by ship through the Red Sea and Suez Canal to Naples, and the rail journey across Europe to Britain. Mukasa describes Apolo's meetings in London with the explorer Henry M. Stanley, the bishop of London, various military and naval officers, and other influential individuals; his visits to Southampton, Birmingham, Cambridge, Glasgow, Sheffield, and other British cities; and his participation in the coronation itself. The book concludes with an account of the return voyage across Europe, with a stop in Rome, the passage to Mombasa on a German steamer, and the party's arrival in Kampala. The book is an unusual and valuable portrait of British and European society as seen through the eyes of an influential African during the colonial period.
- Johnston, Harry Hamilton, Sir, 1858-1927 Author of Introduction, etc..
- Millar, Ernest Translator.
- Mukasa, Ham, 1868-1956 Author.
Created / Published
- London : Hutchinson & Company, 1904.
- - Uganda
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- - 1902 to 1903
- - Description and travel
- - Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1841-1910
- - Kagwa, Apolo, Sir, 1864?-1927
- - Kings and rulers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From Ndejje University Library. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from Carnegie Corporation of New York"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: xxv, 278 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 23 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Johnston, Harry Hamilton, Sir, Author Of Introduction, Etc, Ernest Translator Millar, and Ham Mukasa. Uganda's Katikiro in England. London: Hutchinson & Company, 1904. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666842/.
APA citation style:
Johnston, H. H., Millar, E. T. & Mukasa, H. (1904) Uganda's Katikiro in England. London: Hutchinson & Company. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666842/.
MLA citation style:
Johnston, Harry Hamilton, Sir, Author Of Introduction, Etc, Ernest Translator Millar, and Ham Mukasa. Uganda's Katikiro in England. London: Hutchinson & Company, 1904. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666842/>.