Book/Printed Material Men and Creatures in Uganda.
About this Item
- Men and Creatures in Uganda.
- This book is a first-hand account of a trip taken by John Bland-Sutton (1855--1936) in 1910 from the port of Mombasa (present-day Kenya) to Uganda and back to the coast via the Rift Valley of Ethiopia and Kenya. Bland-Sutton was a distinguished British surgeon who did pioneering work in several areas of medicine. His interest in the natural sciences is reflected in his careful descriptions of the animals he observed, which included antelopes, gazelles, lions, crocodiles, and many species of birds. The book also provides descriptions of the Masai and Kikuyu peoples and their customs, an account of the Uganda Railway, and descriptions of Lake Victoria and of visits to Entebbe and Kampala (Mengo) in the Uganda Protectorate. Upon his return to England, Bland-Sutton published a lengthy account of his voyage under the title Man and Beast in Eastern Ethiopia (1911). Men and Creatures in Uganda is an abridged version of this work, with 94 wood engravings, published more than two decades later.
- Bland-Sutton, John, Sir, 1855-1936 Author.
Created / Published
- London : Hutchinson & Co., 1933.
- - Ethiopia
- - Kenya
- - Uganda
- - 1910
- - Animals
- - Description and travel
- - Ethnology
- - Indigenous peoples
- - Kikuyu (African people)
- - Maasai (African people)
- - Natural history
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From the Uganda Society. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 252 pages : illustrations, including maps ; 23 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bland-Sutton, John, Sir, Author. Men and Creatures in Uganda. London: Hutchinson & Co, 1933. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666843/.
APA citation style:
Bland-Sutton, J. (1933) Men and Creatures in Uganda. London: Hutchinson & Co. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666843/.
MLA citation style:
Bland-Sutton, John, Sir, Author. Men and Creatures in Uganda. London: Hutchinson & Co, 1933. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666843/>.