Book/Printed Material East Africa and Uganda, or, Our Last Land.
About this Item
- East Africa and Uganda, or, Our Last Land.
- John Cathcart Wason (1848--1921) was a Scottish-born farmer and politician who as a young man immigrated to New Zealand, where he acquired large landholdings and was elected to the national parliament. In 1900 he sold his New Zealand estate and returned to Scotland, where he was elected to the British parliament. Wason took an interest in colonial affairs and was particularly concerned about what he saw as the British government's mismanagement of British East Africa and the Uganda Protectorate, which he regarded as the last territories in the empire where Great Britain might create flourishing colonies of immigrants from the British Isles, patterned after Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Wason was especially incensed by reports of the government's offer to the World Zionist Congress of land in British East Africa to establish a Jewish colony, to be populated mainly by immigrants from Eastern Europe. In 1904--5 Wason traveled to Africa to investigate this issue firsthand. East Africa and Uganda, or, Our Last Land is Wason's account of his trip, which took him through much of present-day Kenya and Uganda. The book includes valuable information about the history of these countries, particularly relating to British policy with regard to the settlement and ownership of land and relations with the indigenous peoples. The book includes accounts of Wason's meetings with Masai chiefs; the king of Buganda and his katikiro (prime minister), Apolo Kagwa; Bishop Alfred R. Tucker; and other important figures.
- Wason, John Cathcart, 1848-1921 Author.
Created / Published
- London : Francis Griffiths, 1905.
- - Kenya
- - South Sudan
- - Uganda
- - 1904 to 1905
- - Description and travel
- - Ganda (African people)
- - Great Britain--Colonies
- - Indigenous peoples
- - Kagwa, Apolo, Sir, 1864?-1927
- - Land grants
- - Maasai (African people)
- - Tucker, Alfred Robert, 1849-1914
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From the Uganda Society. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York|With a preface by Sir Harry Johnston. Illustrated from photographs by Mr. Borup, Mr. Cunnington and Mr. and Mrs. Cathcart Wason."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 111 pages : illustrations, with appendix.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wason, John Cathcart, Author. East Africa and Uganda, or, Our Last Land. London: Francis Griffiths, 1905. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666844/.
APA citation style:
Wason, J. C. (1905) East Africa and Uganda, or, Our Last Land. London: Francis Griffiths. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666844/.
MLA citation style:
Wason, John Cathcart, Author. East Africa and Uganda, or, Our Last Land. London: Francis Griffiths, 1905. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666844/>.