Book/Printed Material Report on the Different Masses of Iron, Found in the Eastern Cordillera of the Andes. Memoria sobre diferentes masas de hierro, encontradas en la cordillera oriental de los Andes
About this Item
- Report on the Different Masses of Iron, Found in the Eastern Cordillera of the Andes.
- Memoria sobre diferentes masas de hierro, encontradas en la cordillera oriental de los Andes
- Mariano Eduardo de Rivero y Ustáriz (1798--1857) was a Peruvian scientist, geologist, mineralogist, chemist, archaeologist, politician, and diplomat. After schooling in Arequipa, he was sent in 1810 at age 12 to London to study mathematics, physics, and languages. In 1817 he traveled to France to the École royale des mines de Paris to study mineralogy and chemistry. In France he met Joseph Louis Proust, Gay-Lussac, and Alexander von Humboldt. The latter became his mentor and, during the course of his travels in Europe, Rivero discovered a new iron-oxalate that he named humboldtine in the older man's honor. In 1822 Rivero was hired on Humboldt's recommendation by the Colombian government to direct the first mining school in Bogotá, assisted by several other young European scientists. They included the French mineralogist Jean-Baptiste Boussingault (1802--87), who had studied at the school of mines at Saint-Etienne and later moved to Alsace to work in asphalt mining. Rivero and Boussingault traveled through the northern part of South America in support of the scientific explorations of General Simón Bolívar. Presented here is "Memoria sobre diferentes masas de hierro encontradas en la cordillera oriental de los andes" (Report on the different masses of iron, found in the Eastern Cordillera of the Andes), published in 1823, one of a number of articles on mineralogy on which the two men collaborated. It presents an analysis of the different types of iron ore found in the Eastern Cordillera of the Andes Mountains near Santa Rosa, Colombia. The work is included in a compilation of Rivero's work called Colección de memorias cientificas, agrícolas e industriales publicadas en distintas épocas (Collection of scientific, agricultural, and industrial papers published at different times), which appeared in 1857.
- Boussingault, J. B. (Jean Baptiste), 1802-1887 Author.
- Rivero y Ustáriz, Mariano Eduardo de, 1798-1857 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : Nicomedes Lora, 1823.
- - Colombia
- - 1823
- - Meteorites
- - Minerals
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 7 pages : etchings, one folded page with handwritten notes.
- - Original resource at: EAFIT University.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Boussingault, J. B. , Author, and Mariano Eduardo De Rivero Y Ustáriz. Report on the Different Masses of Iron, Found in the Eastern Cordillera of the Andes. [place of publication not identified: Nicomedes Lora, 1823] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666846/.
APA citation style:
Boussingault, J. B. & Rivero Y Ustáriz, M. E. D. (1823) Report on the Different Masses of Iron, Found in the Eastern Cordillera of the Andes. [place of publication not identified: Nicomedes Lora] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666846/.
MLA citation style:
Boussingault, J. B. , Author, and Mariano Eduardo De Rivero Y Ustáriz. Report on the Different Masses of Iron, Found in the Eastern Cordillera of the Andes. [place of publication not identified: Nicomedes Lora, 1823] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666846/>.