Book/Printed Material Titus Andronicus. The most lamentable Romaine tragedie of Titus Andronicus As it was plaide by the right honourable the Earle of Darbie, Earle of Pembrooke, and Earle of Sussex their seruants
About this Item
- Titus Andronicus.
- The most lamentable Romaine tragedie of Titus Andronicus As it was plaide by the right honourable the Earle of Darbie, Earle of Pembrooke, and Earle of Sussex their seruants
- This 1594 copy of Titus Andronicus is the only known copy of this quarto in existence, and, along with a version of Henry VI, Part 2 from the same year, is the earliest extant printed Shakespeare play. Quartos printed after about 1598 often display the name William Shakespeare; as this is an earlier quarto, the name of the acting company is shown instead. Quarto editions of the plays, which began to appear in the late 16th and early 17th centuries, were inexpensive and were sold unbound, sometimes in small numbers. Some editions were completely lost, as the 1594 quarto of Titus Andronicus was thought to have been, until this copy was discovered in 1904 in the home of a Swedish postal clerk. The book was found wrapped in a pair of 18th-century lottery tickets, which remain with it to this day. It remains the rarest and most valued quarto in the collection of the Folger Shakespeare Library.
- Danter, John, died 1594 Printer.
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 Author.
Created / Published
- London : [publisher not identified], 1594.
- - Italy--Lazio--Rome
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland--England
- - 300 to 600
- - Andronicus, Titus (Legendary character)
- - Drama
- - English language
- - Generals
- - Goths
- - Rome--History--Germanic Invasions, 3rd-6th centuries
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 78 unnumbered pages.
- - Original resource at: Folger Shakespeare Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Danter, John, Died 1594 Printer, and William Shakespeare. Titus Andronicus. [London: Publisher Not Identified, 1594] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666880/.
APA citation style:
Danter, J. & Shakespeare, W. (1594) Titus Andronicus. [London: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666880/.
MLA citation style:
Danter, John, Died 1594 Printer, and William Shakespeare. Titus Andronicus. [London: Publisher Not Identified, 1594] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666880/>.