Book/Printed Material Decree of Francisco de Borja, Prince of Esquilache, Viceroy of Peru, 1617. Don Francisco de Boria Principe de Esqvilache Conde de Mayalde Gentilhombre dela Camara del Rey Nuestro señor su Vírrey lugar teníente, Gouernador, y Capitan General
About this Item
- Decree of Francisco de Borja, Prince of Esquilache, Viceroy of Peru, 1617.
- Don Francisco de Boria Principe de Esqvilache Conde de Mayalde Gentilhombre dela Camara del Rey Nuestro señor su Vírrey lugar teníente, Gouernador, y Capitan General
- Don Francisco de Boria Principe de Esquilache Conde de Mayalde Gentilhombre dela Camara del Rey Nuestro señor su Vírrey lugar teníente, Governador, y Capitan General (Francisco de Borja, prince of Esquilache, count of Mayalde, gentleman of the Our Lord's royal chamber, his lieutenant viceroy, governor, and captain general) was published in Lima, Peru, in 1617. It is a one-page decree by Francisco de Borja y Aragón, prince of Esquilache (1582-1658), a Spanish nobleman and official who was viceroy of Peru in 1615-21. The first printing press in South America was established in Lima by Antonio Ricardo (circa 1540-1606), an Italian who had worked for a time as a printer with the Jesuits in Mexico City. This book is part of a collection of 39 first editions in the National Library of Peru, produced at the press between 1584 and 1619. The collection was inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register in 2013. In Latin, Spanish, and several Amerindian languages, these books are an important part of the record of the encounter between two worlds: the Amerindian civilization of the Incas and the European culture represented by the Spanish conquistadors. They are important sources for the study of the dissemination of ideas in the Spanish Empire, including the evangelization process and the diffusion of Catholicism on the one hand and the debate over the indigenous peoples and their condition as human beings on the other. Several of the books provide insights into the political, cultural, and social organization of the vanquished Inca civilization, as well as a record of the Quechua and Aymara languages spoken by the Incas.
- Borja y Aragón, Francisco de, príncipe de Esquilache, 1582-1658 Author.
Created / Published
- Lima, Peru : [publisher not identified], 1617.
- - Peru
- - 1617
- - Alcoholic beverages
- - Commerce
- - Eating and drinking
- - Liquors
- - Memory of the World
- - Proclamations
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 folio ; 30 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Peru.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Peruvian First Editions
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Borja Y Aragón, Francisco De, Príncipe De Esquilache, Author. Decree of Francisco de Borja, Prince of Esquilache, Viceroy of Peru. [Lima, Peru: publisher not identified, 1617] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666919/.
APA citation style:
Borja Y Aragón, F. D. (1617) Decree of Francisco de Borja, Prince of Esquilache, Viceroy of Peru. [Lima, Peru: publisher not identified] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666919/.
MLA citation style:
Borja Y Aragón, Francisco De, Príncipe De Esquilache, Author. Decree of Francisco de Borja, Prince of Esquilache, Viceroy of Peru. [Lima, Peru: publisher not identified, 1617] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666919/>.