Book/Printed Material Exploratory Expedition through Indochina. Voyage d'exploration en Indo-Chine
About this Item
- Exploratory Expedition through Indochina.
- Voyage d'exploration en Indo-Chine
- Voyage d'exploration en Indo-Chine (Exploratory expedition through Indochina) is an edited and annotated reprint of the account of the Mekong expedition of 1867-68, first published in 1870 in the French geographic weekly Le Tour du Monde. The book is by Francis Garnier (1839-73), the young naval officer who is credited with proposing and being the driving force behind the expedition, which was commanded by a more senior naval officer, Captain Ernest Doudart De Lagrée (1823-68). Garnier was responsible for mapping the river and reporting on its peoples and natural resources, and assumed overall command following Lagrée's death in March 1868. At the time of the expedition, the full course of the river and its source were unknown, and no European had ever traveled upstream beyond Vientiane (Laos). The expedition left Saigon on June 5, 1866, reached Shanghai in June 1868, and returned to Saigon on the 29th of that month. It covered some 10,000 kilometers, of which nearly 4,000 kilometers were on foot, mapping the Mekong Valley along the way and passing through parts of present-day Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Burma, and China. Garnier's book describes in detail the peoples, places, and landscapes he encountered and analyzes the economic potential of the river. The work contains 211 woodcut engravings and two maps. Garnier was killed in December 1873 in an unsuccessful attempt to capture and hold Hanoi. This book was published posthumously.
- Doudart de Lagrée, Ernest, 1823-1868 Associated Name.
- Garnier, Francis, 1839-1873 Author.
- Garnier, Léon, 1836-1901 Editor.
Created / Published
- Paris : L. Hachette, 1885.
- - China
- - Cambodia
- - Lao People's Democratic Republic
- - Myanmar
- - Thailand
- - Viet Nam
- - 1866 to 1867
- - Description and travel
- - Expeditions and surveys
- - France. Mekong Exploration Commission (1866-1868)
- - Scientific surveys
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Pierre Daprini, "Garnier, Marie-Joseph-François (1839-1873)," in Jennifer Speake, editor, Literature of Travel and Exploration: An Encyclopedia (London: Routledge, 2014).
- - Original resource at: National Library of Viet Nam.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Doudart De Lagrée, Ernest, Associated Name, Francis Garnier, and Léon Garnier. Exploratory Expedition through Indochina. Paris: L. Hachette, 1885. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666948/.
APA citation style:
Doudart De Lagrée, E., Garnier, F. & Garnier, L. (1885) Exploratory Expedition through Indochina. Paris: L. Hachette. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666948/.
MLA citation style:
Doudart De Lagrée, Ernest, Associated Name, Francis Garnier, and Léon Garnier. Exploratory Expedition through Indochina. Paris: L. Hachette, 1885. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666948/>.